• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Normal growth for Areca macrocalyx 'Red'?

Brad52

Might be hard to see in this photo, but this palm seems to have multiple layers of leaves, I see leaves at 3 different vertical points plus the emerging leaf - is this typical?

areca macro red.jpeg

How long has the palm been planted in the spot? Did the longer, newer leaves emerge after it was planted?

Seems like it is getting a lot of sun, but I would guess the lower, more compact leaves are from when it was in full sun and a more shaded exposure created the newer leaves? If not then the palm is just so happy now it is producing bigger leaves for the fun of it.

Ryan

South Florida

It's probably been in that spot for about a year now from a 20" tall plant, I think the lowest leaves were the top when I got it, during the big rains it us underwater a few inches up the trunk so maybe it has enjoyed that.

Brad, don’t worry, perfectly normal. It’s going to look that way for awhile, then the juvenile leaves will come off. You should be seeing a red ring before too long. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

For me it seems like pretty fast growth, you are correct Tim, there is a red ring now and in between all those leaves are sections with a red blush.

Hey Brad, here’s an A. macrocalyx that’s been in the ground for a few years. It looks like yours only bigger.

Tim

D6CF9522-5530-4735-BC17-A9824778C5F1.jpeg

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Wow, nice palm,Tim and I am noticing more of that type of branching pattern on others but for some reason this one was more noticeable.  I thought I had read that this guy can be finicky but mine has been a breeze thus far anyway.