• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Marojejya thread

realarch

Eye popping palms in any garden if conditions are right. I have three in the ground, two growing on rock with very little soil. They are also the oldest, about 12 years from one gallon containers. Recently they’ve had growth spurts which means their roots have found fractures in the lava rock. They look impressive at any size.

These are all M.darianii, photos of insignis would be awesome.

Tim

5EAE05C2-7D03-4656-AAF3-8C3F3DB9BEB2.jpeg

D6ED8282-4B10-4054-84A1-2828647F67B2.jpeg

8D081DD5-A29B-4A19-8377-EBFF487A1A49.jpeg

83DE48B4-1977-4448-B3C3-FC9CF189DA31.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Here is the youngest one obviously growing in plenty of soil. A monster of a palm. That’s a 5 gallon bucket for scale. 

Tim

D13D1B5D-2496-4418-AABC-D0AFBF543640.jpeg

96B86029-028C-4632-953C-686E601FFCFF.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Tim,

Beautiful palms, I tried one here in Ft Myers, it didn’t make it. I would like to try again, not sure if it will grow here.

1 hour ago, realarch said:

Here is the youngest one obviously growing in plenty of soil. A monster of a palm. That’s a 5 gallon bucket for scale. 

Tim

D13D1B5D-2496-4418-AABC-D0AFBF543640.jpeg

96B86029-028C-4632-953C-686E601FFCFF.jpeg

That thing is stunning!

Yours make mine look like it doesn't even exist LOL and mine is older than yours.

• Like 2

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

These are a favorite.  I have six of different ages and will probably keep adding more in years to come.  My three largest ones were shredded in a storm last December. They will look pretty sad for another year until they grow a new set of fronds.  They bloomed like crazy last fall, but apparently only produced male flowers.  No seeds this time.  Here is a five year old that started from a one gallon pot.  It is located in a shady, sheltered spot. The fantastic entire leaves made it through the December storm without damage. The dense canopy forces the plant to stretch the leaves a bit more to collect the little light reaching them.  I'm estimating the longest frond is around 12-14 ft high.  For scale the large anthurium leaves on the right are each 4-4.5 ft tall.  Marojejya grow fine in full sun here in Hawaii, but then the leaves are a little smaller and more easily damaged by wind.  Too bad these are such water hogs and sensitive to cold.  Every palm nut should be growing these, if only....  A Licuala peltata Sumawongii is photobombing on the right.

1040654871_MarojejyaFeb2022-1.thumb.jpeg.55fc9559f5158d74d44efbd407f19741.jpeg

• Like 10

Here’s the one I am growing in my Hilo garden. Love these and many more will be added to the new property. 

CA67AFB1-4A39-4D49-80B6-5B6D2D9426DC.thumb.jpeg.963fe5b17e0021e0dba7c21a9f7ed7ff.jpeg

• Like 15

Thanks Barry and Dean.

Looking good Rick, boy, that is one long leaf. It seems that those grown in fulsun also have thicker leaves than those in shade. 

Jason, younger Marojejya are so impressive because of the scale. Such a great palm.

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I have a single Marojejya darianii, trunking and trying to flower. It got a big head start by being planted out from a 15-gal. pot February 8, 2011. 

At time of planting:

Marojejya.darianii_02_08.2011DSCN0936.thumb.jpg.4900814afb8123c71b3684c9eeb246f2.jpg

...May of 2020, red shovel for scale.

Marojejya.darianii_05_01.2020IMG_2725.thumb.jpg.841689e8d4222246add7119330c37742.jpg

• Like 14
  • Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Mine is definitely way behind you guys palms even though its old. No trunk. Bought as a seedling from Floribunda. Growing in the greenhouse

IMG_2400.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

Amazing photos of an amazing species!

I have several planted, but nothing close to trunking. 

I can’t wait to see more of these beauties live in October at the Biennial!

Cindy Adair

First the smallest one planted too close to everything and in too much shade.

96AAD49B-67E1-45EA-9B79-F353A69DDBBD.thumb.jpeg.1c03a8be1fb87b282876bca573689e5b.jpeg

These two are my largest ones with the one on the right a beetle attack survivor from last year. See my hat for scale.

12DFD08E-B999-4960-B1F1-01D968FDF018.thumb.jpeg.0547ac0b1ffc2e592f749d2cebd5ab0f.jpeg

Another view of the one the beetles left alone.

DAB01B7E-323D-4DF5-B114-7CBDE946FC76.thumb.jpeg.6caa7d126873243a6697d4cd31af693a.jpeg

The surroundings where the two are growing.

98A848F4-DD5C-4F54-BB76-6B043D66F1FE.thumb.jpeg.69d6c14eb23cf6d38310cffcc46c50b3.jpeg

I do have a couple of others, but got so distracted by seeing beetle damage to one of my other palms I didn’t get more photos…

• Like 8
  • Upvote 3

Cindy Adair

I have five big ones in the ground. Here is a trio. Scale is provided by the lawn chair in the lower right.

1595505356_Marojejyadariani_trio_MLM_030822.thumb.JPG.8e705d9bdef83f040e431503525add45.JPG

• Like 10
  • Upvote 2

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

To all, all of these are beautiful! Thanks for sharing. 

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I have a few of these M. insignis seedlings--decent germination rate. A cool feature as seedlings is their immediate girth, spotting and a little blushing.

20220311_125654.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Not to bum this thread out but heres one of 2 I have. Sort of a baby walking dead version of the above :bemused:

C648927D-2AD5-47A1-BA7F-C09FFC2AC13B.jpeg

• Like 1

Hey Dean, we’ll send positive thoughts your way. Do you have any anti-zombie spray?

Tim

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Beautiful thread and a great inspiration again!

Thank you all for posting those great images. It seems to be susceptible to winds which would make a bit tricky over

here... However, for my next seed order I will add this species to the list.

regards

Lars

16 hours ago, D. Morrowii said:

Not to bum this thread out but heres one of 2 I have. Sort of a baby walking dead version of the above :bemused:

C648927D-2AD5-47A1-BA7F-C09FFC2AC13B.jpeg

Do you know why this happened? Mine looks similar.

Yes. Maybe we can develop some care tips specific to this palm..? Mine I still keep inside ziplock bags so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Palms Brisbane said:

What are you growing it in? These grow in peat bogs and need an acidic medium. I'm guessing your medium is not good in this respect and the palm is struggling to maintain its chemical balances. All that damage can't possibly be just from sunburn or low humidity.

• Like 2

I killed 3 small plants of them, then almost killed the replacement 3 before paying more attention to them, all in-ground (or on-ground here since I have no ground for them to  be in).  They were all sun burned and too dry so now I treat them with daily watering and the slow death seems to have abated and new leaves are peeking out.  But right now all 3 would fit the zombie category...

15 gallon in coastal Central Florida. I would  like  to plant it out, but ,from what I read, it sounds like it would be a death sentence.

20220312_131129.jpg

Edited by Hurricanepalms
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Palms Brisbane said:

@Palms Brisbane I wish I did. I've tried a few different things over the last 3 months. First I re-potted it to get a look at the roots and raise it a little since the other one I have looks better than this one and was sitting higher in the soil. I waited a month or so and very little changed. So I removed a small amount of soil from the top and mixed in some Osmocote plus and waited. After a couple of weeks some of the leaves were a little less chlorotic but then nothing. A couple of weeks later I added a tablespoon of sul po mag and again nothing much changed. I got a new leaf but it was both chlorotic and necrotic. I keep it watered daily and the potting soil is fast draining but holds a little moisture so I don't think its drying out. Humidity isn't much of an issue here either but the soil is pretty alkaline at around 7 to 7.5 on the cheap probe anyway. Last week I added a teaspoon of soil acidifier but I think it takes awhile to alter the PH. So for now I'll just keep it watered and see what happens.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PalmsandLiszt said:

What are you growing it in? These grow in peat bogs and need an acidic medium. I'm guessing your medium is not good in this respect and the palm is struggling to maintain its chemical balances. All that damage can't possibly be just from sunburn or low humidity.

I have it in best potting mix can buy, with mix of perlite and minor amounts of peat. So not sure if it's soil related. It's also in shade house with good humidity and watered correctly. So yeah not sure. Not sure if a fungus.

Mine are in peat+ perlite. And I spoil them with spring water, to avoid some of the local alkalinity  (at least that's how I think about it). Hopefully I can keep them going strong.

Best wishes for restoring those ragged zombies !

On 3/13/2022 at 1:45 AM, Palms Brisbane said:

I have it in best potting mix can buy, with mix of perlite and minor amounts of peat. So not sure if it's soil related. It's also in shade house with good humidity and watered correctly. So yeah not sure. Not sure if a fungus.

I'd test soil pH to be sure. If it's above 7 then try to reduce it considerably. Doesn't look like a fungus to me, but absolutely does look like some sort of chemical imbalance caused by an inappropriate medium, particularly if you have good humidity and it gets lots of water. Mine had some far from optimal humidity levels over the past winter, and only has some very minor brown tips to show for it.

• Like 1

They don't make it for me, and I've tried a few.

The late Dr. Darian had one at his place, which, while not big like the ones in Hawaii, was impressive enough.

They're thirstier than multiple schools of Irish Fish as an Irish friend would have said. They're happy in Hilo, I have no doubt. Anyone ever try one in Kona?

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

30 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

They don't make it for me, and I've tried a few.

The late Dr. Darian had one at his place, which, while not big like the ones in Hawaii, was impressive enough.

They're thirstier than multiple schools of Irish Fish as an Irish friend would have said. They're happy in Hilo, I have no doubt. Anyone ever try one in Kona?

Dave - they do fine here in the Kona coffee belt. Here's a few in the garden. Shovel for scale in a few of the pics.

1b.JPG

4A.JPG

5A.JPG

6A.JPG

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

19 hours ago, Dypsisdean said:

Dave - they do fine here in the Kona coffee belt. Here's a few in the garden. Shovel for scale in a few of the pics.

1b.JPG

4A.JPG

5A.JPG

6A.JPG

Ah, good!

I knew I could flush you out with that request! Nice palms and great to see you again!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 4 months later...

On Saturday, HIPS sponsored a tour of one of the Big Island's finest palm gardens. Bill Austin gave us the history of his working for Jeff Marcus, and how he acquired some of the amazing palms in his extensive collection. This pic of some of the HIPS tour group in a very Jurassic Park-like grove of marojeyjas gives you an idea of the scale of the 40+ year old plantings. 

GD6A4494.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

David,

What a spectacular photo to start your participation on PT.  Welcome and we are looking forward to many more posts.

For everyone else, David and Robert have been creating another amazing palm garden in lower Puna in East Hawaii.  It is appropriately named 'Paradise Found'.  With any luck David and Robert will be sharing many photos of their property.  They are getting explosive growth rates from their palms and tropical accent plantings. 

Getting back to Bill Austin's incredible garden, it is always a special treat whenever Bill invites the local palm society to wander through his six acres of tropical forest.  It is just amazing.  Many PT members have posted photos of their visits to Bill's garden over the years, but photos just cannot capture its magic.  You really need to see it in person, preferably in the rain.  It is a commentary on how many fantastic palm gardens are on the Big Island, that the upcoming IPS Biennial Tour could not squeeze this garden into the main itinerary.  But fear not. Folks coming to the biennial will have a full free day where they will be able to visit other private gardens, including Bill's (and Paradise Found!). There should be a list of 8-12 private palm gardens to choose from ready to welcome small groups of IPS folks on their free day.  Be sure to pack an umbrella.

Thanks so much for these photos of one of my (admittedly many) favorite palms!

I am also very excited to hear about a list of private gardens whose owners might be willing to allow visitors during the October IPS Biennial.

I am pretty sure I will run out of time/daylight to visit them all so perhaps a second HI trip will be required, maybe timed with a HIPS meeting?

Cindy Adair

Most of us on the Big Island love sharing our gardens with fellow enthusiasts. I’m sure we can help you set up visits to some of the most significant ones that you don’t get a chance to visit in the October biennial trip. 

• 4 months later...

Good luck with your M. insignis! You don’t see many of these around, even here in Hawaii. I thought I had acquired a few, but they turned out to be M. darianii. 

Here’s a recent photo of the first one in this thread. 

Tim

35C7C9B7-B52A-41CA-AC07-AF13B4F9CF68.jpeg

• Like 4

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii