• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pritchardia photos

JEB

I was wondering if I might get some help identifying what I believe to be 3 Pritchardia palms in my yard in San Diego.  

Img. 7536 is appx 8 feet to the bottom of the crown shaft

Img.7538 is appx 15 feet to the bottom of the crown shaft.  

Img.7539 is appx 20 feet to the bottom of the crown shaft and Img.7540, img.7541 are close ups of the inflorescence for this particular palm

Are these Pritchardia and if so does anyone have a guess which ones?

Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_7536.jpg

IMG_7538.jpg

IMG_7539.jpg

IMG_7540.jpg

IMG_7541.jpg

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, JEB said:

IMG_7538.jpg

This one is similar to a couple of Pritchardia maideniana that I'm growing.  Not a solid id on yours, but a starting point for others to provide feedback.  What part of San Diego are you in and did you plant these or were they in the yard when you bought the home?  Welcome to PalmTalk Jeb. 

20220306-BH3I7068.jpg

20210810-BH3I5078.jpg

20210810-BH3I5085.jpg

• Like 3

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

5 minutes ago, JEB said:

Im in Carlsbad and I planted them about 25 years ago from 1 gallon pots!

Nice.  Another possibility for the very stiff Prichardia you have is P. hillebrandii.  Back when I planted the larger P maideniana in my south Carsbad garden it was acquired as P affinis, but that was rolled into P maideniana  a while back.  Would you recall the names if you heard them?  Pritchardia hillebrandii have less of a blade look to their leaves and are pretty rigid.  This is a difficult genus of palm to identify.  I have at least 2 in my current garden that no longer match the names under which I acquired them, and one in Carlsbad that I planted around 2009 that I still don't know which species or hybrid of species it is.  Despite that they are beautiful palms.  Yours all look well grown and attended.

20210803-BH3I4972.jpg

20210803-BH3I5036.jpg

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Tracy said:

This is a difficult genus of palm to identify.  I have at least 2 in my current garden that no longer match the names under which I acquired them, and one in Carlsbad that I planted around 2009 that I still don't know which species or hybrid of species it is.  Despite that they are beautiful palms.  Yours all look well grown and attended.

I have purchased Pritchardia minor from several vendors, and the plants don't even resemble each other.   Pritchardia in California is a big mess.   :badday:  

• Like 2

San Francisco, California

17 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

Pritchardia in California is a big mess. 

Yes, but don't you want to hazard a guess on the one below Darold?

19 hours ago, JEB said:

Img.7539 is appx 20 feet to the bottom of the crown shaft and Img.7540, img.7541 are close ups of the inflorescence for this particular pal

Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_7539.jpg

IMG_7540.jpg

IMG_7541.jpg

What say all the folks living in Pritchardia habitat?  Can you help Jeb out with an id on this one from his Carlsbad garden?  I threw out some thoughts on the other large one and would be interested to see if you agree or propose something else on it and I'm sure Jeb is interested.

14 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Yes, but don't you want to hazard a guess on the one below Darold?

Nope, the older I get the dumber I feel !  :D

San Francisco, California

I agree with Tracy on the P maideniana. I believe it’s the only Pritchardia with diamond shaped leaf blades that only spread about 45 degrees either side from the direction of the petiole. It’s really the only one I’m at all confident with, although I’d guess the last one (3x photos including inflorescence) might be P  lowreyana. Based on the inflorescences being longer than the petiole but shorter than the full leaf blade there aren’t many Pritchardias that fit the description and P lowreyana I think is the only one which fits the other characteristics. 

Note that I’m a long, long way from Pritchardia habitat in a marginal climate for them and am only growing a few Pritchardia species so I’m far from an expert. 

• Like 2

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

JEB, it might be worth your while to pick up this reference, Loulu, The Hawaiian Palm, by Donald R. Hotel. It keys out Pritchardia characteristics and is most helpful in attempts identifying the different species. Photos of the inflorescences are most helpful. We use this little book quite often here in Hawaii. University of Hawaii Press publication. 

Tim

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Hey, I’m in Hilo. A correction to the author’s name, Donald Hodel.

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii