• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mutant Palm Tree

Ventura

I spotted this palm tree outside the West Marine Store in Oxnard.  A little sucker tree is growing out of EVERY leaf base.  It looks like a Butia cross.  Anyone ever see something like this?

PXL_20220302_181032281.jpg

PXL_20220302_181025463.jpg

PXL_20220302_180957800.jpg

• Like 13

That is incredible suckering!  But it is a Phoenix hybrid with, I'd guess, dactylifera and canariensis.

• Like 6

Jon Sunder

1 hour ago, Fusca said:

That is incredible suckering!  But it is a Phoenix hybrid with, I'd guess, dactylifera and canariensis.

That thing is unbelievable.  Yeah, I would suspect a hybrid as well.  I have never seen Phoenix canariensis sucker like that.  The fronds look more canariensis-like though, and that trunk is so freaking think.  I wonder what the drupes look like.  Here are some shots of local Phoenix dactylifera (at least, I think they are Phoenix dactylifera) suckering that I took the other day.  I suspect (again, only a suspicion) that suckering like that may be a result or after-effect of some trauma? These suckering Phoenix dactylifera below are in recovery mode after experiencing a brutal cold snap last year (one that outright killed most of the Phoenix dactylifera around here).  I am sure that Phoenix sps. pictured did not experience anything like that, but possibly some other trauma?

image.thumb.jpeg.c147d8b53817d47d6ba57b0bd1bc1e64.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6889e1a5eab9f2fe905d6190624de4e5.jpeg

• Like 2

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

3 hours ago, Ventura said:

I spotted this palm tree outside the West Marine Store in Oxnard.  A little sucker tree is growing out of EVERY leaf base.  It looks like a Butia cross.  Anyone ever see something like this?

PXL_20220302_181032281.jpg

PXL_20220302_181025463.jpg

PXL_20220302_180957800.jpg

I have seen one such plant here in central Phoenix in the oldest part of town.  I don't have an image, and the plant here is quite blue for dactylifera and is closer to sylvestris.  Your plant takes the cake, hands down.

• Like 2

Just now, Ventura said:

if they quit pruning it i imagine those would be branches.  each branch would then sucker as well.

A unique bushy phenomenon. I wonder if it would get so massive it would collapse under it's own weight if allowed to grow as it wants to.

Ryan

• Like 2

South Florida

41 minutes ago, Palmarum said:

A unique bushy phenomenon. I wonder if it would get so massive it would collapse under it's own weight if allowed to grow as it wants to.

Ryan

I don't think it would get enough nutrients. I think it would look like a small tree. In my neighborhood there is a CDIP that looks like this.

Lucas

4 hours ago, Little Tex said:

I don't think it would get enough nutrients. I think it would look like a small tree. In my neighborhood there is a CDIP that looks like this.

pictures of your cidp? 

Very interesting!  Do you think you could root any of the suckers on that palm?  Seeing how they have been chopped back, I think it would be OK to swipe some.

• Like 1

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

9 hours ago, GoatLockerGuns said:

That thing is unbelievable.  Yeah, I would suspect a hybrid as well.  I have never seen Phoenix canariensis sucker like that.  The fronds look more canariensis-like though, and that trunk is so freaking think.  I wonder what the drupes look like.  Here are some shots of local Phoenix dactylifera (at least, I think they are Phoenix dactylifera) suckering that I took the other day.  I suspect (again, only a suspicion) that suckering like that may be a result or after-effect of some trauma? These suckering Phoenix dactylifera below are in recovery mode after experiencing a brutal cold snap last year (one that outright killed most of the Phoenix dactylifera around here).  I am sure that Phoenix sps. pictured did not experience anything like that, but possibly some other trauma?

image.thumb.jpeg.c147d8b53817d47d6ba57b0bd1bc1e64.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6889e1a5eab9f2fe905d6190624de4e5.jpeg

This looks to have some reclinata in it ? 

This is why you should never have kids with your cousins. :lol:

Edited by Las Palmas Norte
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

This is why you should never have kids with your cousins. :lol:

No? Guess I'll get working on Plan B.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

This looks to have some reclinata in it ? 

Yeah, I was thinking that might be a possibility as well.

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker