• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Germinating Banana Seeds

metalfan

I bought a couple packs of banana seeds from Top Tropicals. I have never tried to germinate banana seeds. I of course looked on Youtube LOL. But would rather have the expertise of plant peeps here. WHat is the best method after soaking? Paper towel in enclosed prop box, or straight into seed starting mix? Do they need to be scarified?

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

I obtained a ripe Musa velutina fruit last year and looked up the information on germinating online - several sources recommended all kinds of scarification, soaking, as well as patience: up to 12 months required for germination. I don't have a lot of expertise or patience for growing things from seed so I sat the fruit aside and forgot about it. Several months later as an afterthought in the middle of winter I finally removed the seeds from the dried fruit and buried them in a raised bed and a few community pots. Within roughly a month I had near 100% germination of fast growing little banana seedlings that I am now transplanting into their own pots and I'm eager to get them going in the ground.

No idea how this translates to other species or less fresh seed, but that's my one experience growing bananas from seed.

20220323_114754 (1).jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Not a problem they are in the house at the moment but its almost summer here LOL so they will go out to the greenhouse soon. The ground temp out there today topped at 95F before I switched the fans on

• Like 1

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

• 1 year later...

Thanks for sharing!
My velutina seeds (from RPS) needed 6 months of 30 degrees C. in a wet bag. I almost gave up.
Then lots of them germinated within 2 weeks.
The young plants can take colder temps already. They have survived nights of about 3 degrees C. on my balcony in the German spring.

IMG-0119.jpg

IMG-0447.jpg

IMG-0938.jpg

• Like 4