• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus ukrhulensis

Vic

Does anyone know of a flowering T.ukrhulensis (AKA manipur) in the US, or anywhere else for that matter. 

i would think after nearly 20 years of the seed first being made available by RPS then there must be large specimens out there somewhere.

Does anyone also know the minimum temp before they suffer leaf burn? 

TIA

Vic

• Like 1

HI Vic,

I know of about 5 or 6 palms out this way, but they are still in pots and somewhat neglected.  Last time I saw them they were very yellow and extremely root bound, I doubt there's any soil left.  They have not flowered as far as I know, but I may have a chance to purchase them this summer so that could change.

I do know of a supposed one in British Columbia that has seen somewhere between -6C and -8C without damage.

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Chester B said:

HI Vic,

I know of about 5 or 6 palms out this way, but they are still in pots and somewhat neglected.  Last time I saw them they were very yellow and extremely root bound, I doubt there's any soil left.  They have not flowered as far as I know, but I may have a chance to purchase them this summer so that could change.

I'd be glad to help relieve the current owner of the burden of caring for them.  Don't hold out on a brother....haha.

2 minutes ago, Fallen Munk said:

I'd be glad to help relieve the current owner of the burden of caring for them.  Don't hold out on a brother....haha.

Knowing the luck they'd all be male.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chester B said:

HI Vic,

I do know of a supposed one in British Columbia that has seen somewhere between -6C and -8C without damage.

Cheers Chester. Mine has seen -11c for a short period with minor leaf damage, probably mainly wind burn. 

I do know they don’t like being in pots, mine were held back for years in a pot but exploded into fast growth after a few years of being planted out. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vic said:

I do know they don’t like being in pots, mine were held back for years in a pot but exploded into fast growth after a few years of being planted out. 

That might explain why my 15 gallon is slow, in comparison to fortunei. I do believe they are slow anyway until forming a trunk. I was hoping to move in the next while. My soil here is terrible.

• Like 2

Hey Trachyhead.....I bought 2 (first rule in government spending haha) a few years back...the one in the

pot is a dwarf compared to the one in the ground but I have been cutting my palms back-to lazy/cheap to build bigger covers...

Anyway,I would think you would be the expert on cold hardiness of these-do you have a picture of yours????

I would love to  see it-seems like you have had one for almost 20 years now or am I thinking of the Martianus???

Anyhow-sorry I can't help with the pollen.

PS. They are both the Naga Hills variety.

Mines 19 years old Jim so you are not far off! I guess my reason for posting here is that many of you live in areas where although hotter in summer, your winter lows  are more severe than mine so it’s not been properly tested yet. 

here are both of mine, the same age but planted in the ground 2 years apart. 

A5836776-B918-4DBA-8A99-1A0FAE9DAD0A.jpeg

EAE25742-90E4-470A-A077-7D52B81F9617.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Well I managed to buy one today. The smallest of the lot from the collector but I finally talked him into letting one go. Not in great condition but it should recover. Started from seed in 2014 I’m assuming from RPS. Labeled as Trachycarpus oreophilus “Naga hills”. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RJ said:

Still no idea on male/female? 

No. The large one is flowering for the first time now. So I’ll know in a month or so. 

• Like 2

Nice Vic!

The palm in the pot looks like my other potted Trachy...

the trunk is doing the same thing...did they just mislabel it Oreophilus????

I have never heard of that var but there is for sure Manipur (Naga Hills).

2 hours ago, Jimhardy said:

Nice Vic!

RPS (i.e. Toby Spanner) believe ukhrulensis and oreophilus are one species. Hence, the label is correct in their eyes.

Edited by Flow

5 hours ago, Jimhardy said:

Nice Vic!

It was originally collected under the name T. oreophilus "naga hills" but also goes by the names "manipur" and ukhrulensis.

All Trachys can do that prostrate growth thing, I see it on regular fortunei often.  

So what amount of sun do these palms like for those of you growing them?  Or does it matter at all?  

Edited by Chester B

Yeah...they are lumpers, trying to lump them together..

Oreophilus and Manipur look different....PS you don't really see

the SFH trait in T.Martianus probably because its less of a mountainside palm

then the others.