• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

how many times to water the foxtail palm seed per week? and it have to be in sunlight or not?

treelover

@treelover

If they are just seeds, you shouldn't have to do much watering with the right germination setup.  If you have a heat mat, you can speed things up.  If not, put the container near sunlight or another heat source.

Welcome to PalmTalk!

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

These are my 1 year old Foxtail seedlings.  You can see they are on top of barrels to keep bunnies away and in the shade of a large California pepper tree.  The last 2 days where I am 45 miles north of Los Angeles, the temperature has been 93 deg. F and we only read about rain.....I water these each day as they are in fast draining soil mix with 8 holes in the bottom of the containers.  In the winter, I don't water these as often as the evaporation is much less, so I'm checking water retention from top to bottom.  I promise you, putting these in direct sunlight here WILL BURN THE BEGINNING LEAVES.

987954468_W.Bifur3.thumb.JPG.a6b5e07473d0393674e3d895b3325c0b.JPG

Survived Feb. 9, 1971 & Jan. 17, 1994 earthquakes   Before Palms, there was a special airplane

619382403_F-117landingsmallest.jpg.0441eed7518a280494a59fcdaf23756d.jpg

10 hours ago, TheMadScientist said:

These are my 1 year old Foxtail seedlings.  You can see they are on top of barrels to keep bunnies away and in the shade of a large California pepper tree.  The last 2 days where I am 45 miles north of Los Angeles, the temperature has been 93 deg. F and we only read about rain.....I water these each day as they are in fast draining soil mix with 8 holes in the bottom of the containers.  In the winter, I don't water these as often as the evaporation is much less, so I'm checking water retention from top to bottom.  I promise you, putting these in direct sunlight here WILL BURN THE BEGINNING LEAVES.

987954468_W.Bifur3.thumb.JPG.a6b5e07473d0393674e3d895b3325c0b.JPG

On a related topic - with something like a 25G foxtail grown in partial sunlight, will it burn if I plant it in direct sun?

Are you sure about "partial" sunlight?  I didn't post a photo of my 4 year old Foxtail in a 5 gallon black container.  I did an exceptional job from Thanksgiving to March keeping all of my seedlings from letting the 31 deg. F on a number of mornings kill even a single palm.  Half of these were kept in the race car trailer with a 200 watt reflective drop light bring the front half of the trailer up 10 deg F to around low 40's and the more sensitive seedlings were kept in the garage where it stayed 50+.  The dumb thing I did in Dec. and some of January was to take these outside after 9 am and back inside after 2 pm to sit in full sun....rationalizing the less intense sun.  They all got sunburned on the first growth.  3 months of not doing that any longer, the 2nd growth is all healthy green.  I would NOT plant your 25 gallon Foxtail in direct sun, but you could place the container there and put shade screen over the top for 2022.

Survived Feb. 9, 1971 & Jan. 17, 1994 earthquakes   Before Palms, there was a special airplane

619382403_F-117landingsmallest.jpg.0441eed7518a280494a59fcdaf23756d.jpg