• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Plumeria mosaic virus and spreading

spike

I have a plumeria cutting from home depot, but this year after it started leafing, I noticed there were a few leaves with these mottles and distortions. I'm fairly sure it's plumeria mosaic virus but it might also be due to the heat or powdery mildew. I doubt the nursery HD is buying from would take cuttings from viral trees, and other than some cuttings there are no large plumerias near me. I do have a fig tree with mosaic virus, and I've seen roses with it as well, but I doubt they can transmit to each other or to the plumeria. Any thoughts?

image1.thumb.jpeg.a8687b2d000acac4351059337b959d30.jpegimage2.thumb.jpeg.f83c339647e9be1da269c22b740b8ddf.jpeg

1 minute ago, spike said:

I have a plumeria cutting from home depot, but this year after it started leafing, I noticed there were a few leaves with these mottles and distortions. I'm fairly sure it's plumeria mosaic virus but it might also be due to the heat or powdery mildew. I doubt the nursery HD is buying from would take cuttings from viral trees, and other than some cuttings there are no large plumerias near me. I do have a fig tree with mosaic virus, and I've seen roses with it as well, but I doubt they can transmit to each other or to the plumeria. Any thoughts?

image1.thumb.jpeg.a8687b2d000acac4351059337b959d30.jpegimage2.thumb.jpeg.f83c339647e9be1da269c22b740b8ddf.jpeg

Return it and get your money back..  Classic PMV.  Is transmissible to other Plumeria via sap.

As far as home depot ..wouldn't bet one cent on them actually taking the time to avoid accepting cuttings from infected trees. If accepting cuttings while dormant, no one would know which are infected or healthy. 

This is why you want to purchase Plumeria only from places that specialize in them and destroy any plants that show signs of infection rather than sell them. ( Upland Nursery, Florida Colors, Brad's B&B, B&B Exotics, Jungle Jack's ..etc < Though they have passed around infected stock in the past ) ..or start cuttings from a friend's healthy tree / start from seed.

Pretty sure the Plumeria Society of S. Cal has other smaller trustworthy growers nearby they'd recommend.. They also do pop up sales, and have the annual Plumeria Festival at Balboa in September ( Believe this year's event is still on ..Just checked.. Scheduled for the 3rd-4th in September ) where they sell dozens of plants..

Shared this in another, fairly recent discussion about PMV : https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/827348/

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Return it and get your money back..  Classic PMV.  Is transmissible to other Plumeria via sap.

As far as home depot ..wouldn't bet one cent on them actually taking the time to avoid accepting cuttings from infected trees. If accepting cuttings while dormant, no one would know which are infected or healthy. 

This is why you want to purchase Plumeria only from places that specialize in them and destroy any plants that show signs of infection rather than sell them. ( Upland Nursery, Florida Colors, Brad's B&B, B&B Exotics, Jungle Jack's ..etc < Though they have passed around infected stock in the past ) ..or start cuttings from a friend's healthy tree / start from seed.

Pretty sure the Plumeria Society of S. Cal has other smaller trustworthy growers nearby they'd recommend.. They also do pop up sales, and have the annual Plumeria Festival at Balboa in September ( Believe this year's event is still on ..Just checked.. Scheduled for the 3rd-4th in September ) where they sell dozens of plants..

Shared this in another, fairly recent discussion about PMV : https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/827348/

thanks for the advice, but I doubt I still can return it. It's already grown and been repotted. I'll probably just trash it. I'm short on one gallon pots anyways, but is there a possibility of the soil spreading it?

6 minutes ago, spike said:

thanks for the advice, but I doubt I still can return it. It's already grown and been repotted. I'll probably just trash it. I'm short on one gallon pots anyways, but is there a possibility of the soil spreading it?

Not 100% sure, but don't think so ..unless the virus contained in any sap that might drip into the soil below un- infected plants can penetrate the roots.. ( Good question though )

I know it has been stated  that if someone decided to keep an infected plant ( while it lives < usually only get weaker over time > ) you'd want to plant it well away from non - infected Plumeria specimens.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Not 100% sure, but don't think so ..unless the virus contained in any sap that might drip into the soil below un- infected plants can penetrate the roots.. ( Good question though )

I know it has been stated  that if someone decided to keep an infected plant ( while it lives < usually only get weaker over time > ) you'd want to plant it well away from non - infected Plumeria specimens.

I did some research as well, apparently they can spread by soil and even pots, but I don't have any sensitive plants close by. 

https://www.planetnatural.com/pest-problem-solver/plant-disease/mosaic-virus/#:~:text=Additionally%2C infected soil%2C seeds%2C,the virus to further spread.

Also this,

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26239043/#:~:text=The virus isolate induced local symptoms on several new experimental host species%3A Capsicum annuum (chilli)%2C Nicotiana benthamiana%2C Solanum lycopersicum and S. melongena.

Apparently it can cause symptoms in tomatoes but I don't know if it can spread naturally.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, spike said:

Saw this and a couple other research papers but they too kind of veered from PMV to general Mosaics as well..  Didn't realize smoke -from Tobacco - can also spread the virus.. Interesting.  Didn't see anything about insects being able to spread it ( At least in identifying an insect vector for PMV )  but possible one exists, just maybe not here in the states / part of the world..  Since all Plumeria species originate from this part of the world ( Mexico, Central and parts of S. America ..and the Caribbean ) would figure  PMV would have been id'ed in them ( ..and a potential insect carrier ) as species have been discovered / cultivated in  those areas.

Saw something else about Desert Rose ( Adenium ) being susceptible as well , Would bet Pachypodium could be as well.

• Like 1