• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Best 8-2-12-4 fertilizer brand other than Palmgain

squiggly001

I am looking to buy a bag of 8-2-12-4 fertilizer online, I’ve heard of people getting bad batches of lesco brand and complaints about changes to the formula. I’ve seen a few other brands of 8-2-12 like dr earth and palmtreesaver. What do you guys suggest? I’m in western Washington where the summers are dry but I water frequently. Usually I would use Palmgain but they’re sold out 

1 hour ago, squiggly001 said:

I am looking to buy a bag of 8-2-12-4 fertilizer online, I’ve heard of people getting bad batches of lesco brand and complaints about changes to the formula. I’ve seen a few other brands of 8-2-12 like dr earth and palmtreesaver. What do you guys suggest? I’m in western Washington where the summers are dry but I water frequently. Usually I would use Palmgain but they’re sold out 

Palmgain moved to Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/PALMGAIN-Fertilizer-Ferns-Cycads-Ixora/dp/B0087OTTPI/ref=sr_1_3?crid=17VEMVRHU6G33&keywords=palmgain&qid=1650997265&sprefix=palmgain%2Caps%2C83&sr=8-3

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Florikan is better than palm gain.  It costs the same but distributors might not be in your area.  If you are from florida 8-2-12 is the proper formulation for palms.  In other states the P and N will ideally be higher.  Florida sandy soils and rains mean more potassium, K.   I see no reason 8-2-12 would be the best ratio in california.  as far as the traces for florida here is the the chemistry panel on the fertilizer I use.  Palm gain is similar, though it does not have the controlled release osmotic membrane on the prills.  The controlld release is very desirable if you get a lot of rain since the membrane does not dissolve readily so nutrients dont wash away.FlorikanPalmBlend.thumb.jpg.d0c2950ccd079b5fb136180e959e8c26.jpg 

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

34 minutes ago, sonoranfans said:

Florikan is better than palm gain.  It costs the same but distributors might not be in your area.  If you are from florida 8-2-12 is the proper formulation for palms.  In other states the P and N will ideally be higher.  Florida sandy soils and rains mean more potassium, K.   I see no reason 8-2-12 would be the best ratio in california.  as far as the traces for florida here is the the chemistry panel on the fertilizer I use.  Palm gain is similar, though it does not have the controlled release osmotic membrane on the prills.  The controlld release is very desirable if you get a lot of rain since the membrane does not dissolve readily so nutrients dont wash away.FlorikanPalmBlend.thumb.jpg.d0c2950ccd079b5fb136180e959e8c26.jpg 

AM Leonard sells florikan.  What do you think would be the best one for palms in clay soil?

https://www.amleo.com/c/slow-release-fertilizer

Edited by Allen
  • Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

I don't see the 8-2-12 Florikan product on the AM Leonard site.  Keep in mind, where-ever you do buy it to pay attention to the release type.  You can get 180 days, 240, 360 and even 720 days in a special order.

They do have a pricey aluminum (aluminium) product though, for those with high pH soils.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

I’ll try to get my hands on some flourikan but what fertilizer is best for Washington state clay soils if 8-2-12 is not? My garden soil has been amended with compost pretty deep but its still mostly native clay. 8-2-12 ratio was giving me good results but if there’s a better option I’d like to know 

Edited by squiggly001

51 minutes ago, Allen said:

AM Leonard sells florikan.  What do you think would be the best one for palms in clay soil?

https://www.amleo.com/c/slow-release-fertilizer

pay more attention to the micros, Mg(5.1%), S(9.5%), Mn(2.3%), Fe(2.7%) these are palm specific, the NPK can be adjusted a little based on soil/climate.   Its the ratios that are important, you can always add more fertilizer but the ratios are fixed by the formulations.  The ratios are about 2:4:1:1 for Mg:S:Mn:Fe.   Florikan used to offer a 12-4-12 for NPK for some other states, florida has lots of P in the soil so that is why 8-2-12.   We in florida have the worlds largest phosphate mines, so hence we already have P in our soils, we dont need to add much P to our soils.  If its working for you, I expect its the micros that are doing the work and you are getting good potassium levels.  I use the 180 day formula and overlap additions by one month.

Tom Blank

1 hour ago, sonoranfans said:

pay more attention to the micros, Mg(5.1%), S(9.5%), Mn(2.3%), Fe(2.7%) these are palm specific, the NPK can be adjusted a little based on soil/climate.   Its the ratios that are important, you can always add more fertilizer but the ratios are fixed by the formulations.  The ratios are about 2:4:1:1 for Mg:S:Mn:Fe.   Florikan used to offer a 12-4-12 for NPK for some other states, florida has lots of P in the soil so that is why 8-2-12.   We in florida have the worlds largest phosphate mines, so hence we already have P in our soils, we dont need to add much P to our soils.  If its working for you, I expect its the micros that are doing the work and you are getting good potassium levels.  I use the 180 day formula and overlap additions by one month.

So for me in western Washington state would I be better of with a 12-4-12? I couldn’t find Florikan in that ratio but I did find one called Carl pool palm food that is slow release 12-4-12 and contains micros. 1189C371-C371-472F-A0D0-5CA021106D83.thumb.png.5ca7db5950c226afbda546a9812e4deb.png

I’ve been using Tree Saver lately because it’s easiest for me to get in these parts.  I also keep a bunch of K, Mg, Mn, Chelated Fe, and Langbeinite in the garage to use to correct obvious deficiencies as they pop-up in the various palms, shrubs and flowers.   

My Florida sand is classically bleeding K and Mg, while the planter boxes and pots need various fine tuning here and there.  Of course I heap on the manure and mulch for everything, and peat for the crotons.  

What say you, @sonoranfans, about this stuff?…   It follows the recommendations pretty well…

D4CEF28D-20B4-45B6-882D-D4B61AAC9DC8.thumb.jpeg.2546b9125bcb3817ff48229dec572c86.jpeg

BB691EF5-7E3E-4983-8611-335A16474AEC.thumb.jpeg.5433288266d4368122e60b035816ffd5.jpeg

Edited by Looking Glass
  • Like 1

I wouldnt get to locked into actual numbers but ratios on fertilizers.  For example 12:4:12 is like putting down 2x as much 6:1:6.  8:2:12 is like  2x th emount of 4:1:6 If you are not in florida phosphate might be better if a little higher.   The reason for th elower N number in florida relative to K is that K rinses away faster in rain than N.  The 8:2:12 is the UFAS research ratio for florida.  Florida also likely has different requirements for micros for the same reason, heavy rain and sandy soil.  I have not seen the best numbers for other states, but keep in mind that both low rain in the hot season, and lack of high drainage soil will mean your ideal ratios can be expected to be different.  They will be lower than the UFAS numbers in the more soluble, more easily rinsed macro and micronutrients.  the thing about nutrients that makes me use preformulated fertilizer is the potential for losses that will be driven by the specific nutrient solubility in water.  Add to that that similar nutrients can compete in uptake.  Too much calcium limits Mg uptake and too much nitrogen can limit potassium uptake.   Excesses of some nutrients can change soil pH which can limit nutrient uptake by the palm.  Apply sufficient fertilizer but not excess.  I like florikan CRF because the nutrient delivery system stabilizes the proper ratios of micros and micros in their release over time.  

• Like 1

Tom Blank

2 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

I wouldnt get to locked into actual numbers but ratios on fertilizers.  For example 12:4:12 is like putting down 2x as much 6:1:6.  8:2:12 is like  2x th emount of 4:1:6 If you are not in florida phosphate might be better if a little higher.   The reason for th elower N number in florida relative to K is that K rinses away faster in rain than N.  The 8:2:12 is the UFAS research ratio for florida.  Florida also likely has different requirements for micros for the same reason, heavy rain and sandy soil.  I have not seen the best numbers for other states, but keep in mind that both low rain in the hot season, and lack of high drainage soil will mean your ideal ratios can be expected to be different.  They will be lower than the UFAS numbers in the more soluble, more easily rinsed macro and micronutrients.  the thing about nutrients that makes me use preformulated fertilizer is the potential for losses that will be driven by the specific nutrient solubility in water.  Add to that that similar nutrients can compete in uptake.  Too much calcium limits Mg uptake and too much nitrogen can limit potassium uptake.   Excesses of some nutrients can change soil pH which can limit nutrient uptake by the palm.  Apply sufficient fertilizer but not excess.  I like florikan CRF because the nutrient delivery system stabilizes the proper ratios of micros and micros in their release over time.  

I’m about to buy a 50lb bag of fertilizer, summers are dry but I water deeply twice a week. I’m either going to get florikan 8-2-12 or carl pool palm food 12-4-12. Should I stick with florikans ratio or would Carl pool be better for my amended clay soil during spring and summer? I want to be sure I invest in the right one 

• Like 1

I see there are two Tree Saver locations in Palm Beach area.  Which one is better or they the same?  I'll be down that area in June and would like to pick up a few 20lbs bag.  

Carp pool is made locally for us Texans so that's what I use. I'm heavy gumbo clay so I'm not lacking nutrients but my palms that were in a raised bed would need extra fertilizer after heavy down pours. 86$ for a 50# bag at Maas nursery 

• Like 1

T J 

51 minutes ago, 3 Milesfrom Gulf of Mexico said:

I see there are two Tree Saver locations in Palm Beach area.  Which one is better or they the same?  I'll be down that area in June and would like to pick up a few 20lbs bag.  

I’d bet they are the same company.  Maybe just message or call them and see if you can arrange for pick up.  

On 4/27/2022 at 2:56 PM, squiggly001 said:

I’m about to buy a 50lb bag of fertilizer, summers are dry but I water deeply twice a week. I’m either going to get florikan 8-2-12 or carl pool palm food 12-4-12. Should I stick with florikans ratio or would Carl pool be better for my amended clay soil during spring and summer? I want to be sure I invest in the right one 

I would go with florikan if they are the same price.  It no doubt has a better time release profile of nutrient.

Tom Blank