• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Filibusta growth

Pee Dee Palms

So, I've decided that I am going to start documenting the growth of my seedlings I germinated from old filibustas in MB. The filibustas I got the seeds from have been through every single bad frost we've had for at least the past 20 years. They've seen 8a weather multiple times, without any form of protection. I'm sure the babies are at least hardy to a colder 8a zone, possibly warmer 7b. Remember, this may not seem too impressive, but MB is an extremely humid place, we definitely aren't a desert. These old filibustas took bad freezing rain with lows of the upper teens earlier this year. All of them look unfazed. The main reason I want to do this is because I am going to be gone for 4 days, so I just want to see the growth in such a short time because they've just taken off since they've germinated. So here are the babies. The second picture of the single filibusta is the big guy out of them all. That one seems to be growing the best.

20220505_100827.jpg

20220505_100832.jpg

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, General Sylvester D. Palm said:

So, I've decided that I am going to start documenting the growth of my seedlings I germinated from old filibustas in MB. The filibustas I got the seeds from have been through every single bad frost we've had for at least the past 20 years. They've seen 8a weather multiple times, without any form of protection. I'm sure the babies are at least hardy to a colder 8a zone, possibly warmer 7b. Remember, this may not seem too impressive, but MB is an extremely humid place, we definitely aren't a desert. These old filibustas took bad freezing rain with lows of the upper teens earlier this year. All of them look unfazed. The main reason I want to do this is because I am going to be gone for 4 days, so I just want to see the growth in such a short time because they've just taken off since they've germinated. So here are the babies. The second picture of the single filibusta is the big guy out of them all. That one seems to be growing the best.

20220505_100827.jpg

20220505_100832.jpg

I've sprouted filibusta seeds I collected from the large filibusta in Fayetteville NC. I'm in Raleigh, NC, zone 7b. I put three in the ground earlier this year. One died and the two others have grown very slowly. I've kept the rest in my greenhouse that gets very hot during the day. I've noticed the the greenhouse plants have grown significantly more quickly. Most of them have at least two leaves, some have three. But the ones I planted outside have barely grown. So I think the heat has a lot to do with their growth speed. My plan is to leave the sprouts I have in the ground right where they are and see how they do over the next year. Winter might kill them. But I'll continue to grow the ones in the greenhouse until they get larger. Then I'll plant those in the ground in early March of next year or the year after. 

• Like 2

Here are the Filibuststas I got from knifar  who got the seeds from a  Fayetteville palm  . Mine already have their second leaf growing out . I will separate them soon since I hear their roots get intertwined if they stay in the same pot too long .

I think I will plant one outside and protect it this coming winter . 

Will

52052723760_2f865d453c_b.jpg

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Will Simpson said:

Here are the Filibuststas I got from knifar  who got the seeds from a  Fayetteville palm  . Mine already have their second leaf growing out . I will separate them soon since I hear their roots get intertwined if they stay in the same pot too long .

I think I will plant one outside and protect it this coming winter . 

Will

52052723760_2f865d453c_b.jpg

They're looking great Will! All of my greenhouse kept ones look just like these. Hoping the inground ones will catch up soon. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...