• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sylvester palm health

Kat67

Hello there. Is my Sylvester palm not doing well? It’s been planted since January and I just fertilized with miracle grow granules however I can’t get it into the soil bc of the rocks and landscape paper. Any advice if it’s struggling or not? TIA

DA1796EC-FBB0-4B1F-8C49-37D2F278DB0A.jpeg

6241FCCD-7E2C-404D-9A0E-97539DE034C8.jpeg

74B41596-EA56-402C-A18E-87DDF8760ECB.jpeg

CE87F2EA-5E6E-484D-9E23-783867890074.jpeg

4 hours ago, Kat67 said:

Hello there. Is my Sylvester palm not doing well? It’s been planted since January and I just fertilized with miracle grow granules however I can’t get it into the soil bc of the rocks and landscape paper. Any advice if it’s struggling or not? TIA

DA1796EC-FBB0-4B1F-8C49-37D2F278DB0A.jpeg

6241FCCD-7E2C-404D-9A0E-97539DE034C8.jpeg

74B41596-EA56-402C-A18E-87DDF8760ECB.jpeg

CE87F2EA-5E6E-484D-9E23-783867890074.jpeg

The landscaping is really nice. But it is having a bad nutrient deficiency. The black Landscaping fabric is always going to be an issue if your soil is already nutrient deficient. I’d only use it for xeriscaping. Honestly I would redo it. Otherwise, your going to need to fertigate it for the rest of its life. Fertigation is adding liquid fertilizer to your watering. You need some major minor nutrients, which is usually missing in Miracle grow. It’s the cheapest scam out there, but some of their specialized fertilizers have improved a bit due to competition. My Silverstris grew to 35FT in about 15 years before the Tx 2021 freeze took it out. It tried to come back but then rain rot got to crown in spring. Otherwise, It always held a full crown of silvery leaves. 
Some of the yellowing on outer leaves is just from transplanting. Newer leaves are using nutrients from oldest leaves to stay alive. But a yellowish nutrient deficient palm frond is not cold hardy, and Phoenix Palm Decline which is deadly is more likely. 

Overall, it’s looks pretty good, just need to adjust things!

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Miracle Grow is meant mainly for annuals or smaller perennials, which is fine & what it's intended for.  Local nurseries in your area should stock palm fertilizers.