• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lodoicea seeds?

Mr_Marojejya

Hi all,

Does anyone know where to acquire growable seeds of L. maldivica? It seems to be entirely impossible. 

Rarepalmseeds has them for 1000 euros each, and has been out of stock for over a decade. There seems to be no other source, yet they are plentiful in the Seychelles and have the embryo scraped out, and the cornels sold at exorbitant prices. yet to my knowledge there does not seem to be any seed exporting business?

So if anyone knows Id love to hear how you got yours, or if you know how some can be acquired 

Many thanks :)

image-asset.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Hi,

you are not the first asking about this - but several threads over here have already dealt with this matter... 

If you find a reliable and - most important - LEGAL source, please let us know.  

Lars

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, palmfriend said:

Hi,

you are not the first asking about this - but several threads over here have already dealt with this matter... 

If you find a reliable and - most important - LEGAL source, please let us know.  

Lars

oh ok thanks, I shall have another search on the forums

• Upvote 1

I stopped by Foster Botanical Garden in downtown Honolulu a few days ago. They have a mature female with about ten feet of trunk just loaded with fruit.  They got pollen from a tree in Nong Nooch Garden in Thailand.  Foster has been planting out seedlings (about six) in their garden so that down the road they will have both male and female trees. Right now the seedlings are only about four feet high, but what a wonderful investment in the future of this amazing and rare species. 

photos at

I would be shocked to learn that they sell seeds to private individuals. More likely they are distributing them to other botanical gardens around the world.

• Like 4

On 6/3/2022 at 4:42 AM, Rick Kelley said:

I stopped by Foster Botanical Garden in downtown Honolulu a few days ago. They have a mature female with about ten feet of trunk just loaded with fruit.  They got pollen from a tree in Nong Nooch Garden in Thailand.  Foster has been planting out seedlings (about six) in their garden so that down the road they will have both male and female trees. Right now the seedlings are only about four feet high, but what a wonderful investment in the future of this amazing and rare species. 

photos at

I would be shocked to learn that they sell seeds to private individuals. More likely they are distributing them to other botanical gardens around the world.

oh yes one day. this species should become more available, but at the rate it grows, will probably be a century or two lol.

but fingers crossed!!!!

• Like 1

I believe it takes these palms 60+ years to fruit....

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I think they produce seed on Oahu at a botanical garden but that is your best bet . It is impossible to get this palm

• Like 1