• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What palm seedling species is this?

Sapiindo

What palm species is this?

There are four palm seedling

IMG20220603211954.jpg

IMG20220603211924.jpg

IMG20220603211903.jpg

IMG20220603211825.jpg

Edited by Sapiindo

I’m no good at identifying palms this young. My wild guess is maybe foxtail in part due to the nibbled ends of the leaflets.

Did they just start popping up on your property? What trees are around you?

Where are you? Because of the praemorse/jagged edge leaves I venture you have Wodyetia/foxtail or Ptychospermas seedlings.

wo

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

9 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Where are you? Because of the praemorse/jagged edge leaves I venture you have Wodyetia/foxtail or Ptychospermas seedlings.

wo

i thought ptychosperma too!

20 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

wo

Ok but there is huge foxtail palm beside my house but i think thats not foxtail palm. Here a picture of the palm roots, the roots is small and the seedling is small too maybe around 5 cm - 6 cm, i pick them in my garden in a rocky sandy soil under my starfruit tree in a shaded area, every week it keep on growing from the soil and i never see a foxtail seed falling into my garden and germinate.

IMG20220606224022.jpg

IMG20220606224059.jpg

IMG20220606224230.jpg

I’ll have a better guess one year from now when it’s bigger! Until then, happy growing!

Foxtails have seeds almost the size of golf balls. I think you would know if it’s a foxtail with the seed close by if not still connected. Guessing Ptychosperma too. 

I'd guess P. elegans (solitaire palm) as being the most likely candidate; very widely cultivated and a good visual fit. Foxtail seedlings, in my experience, tend to be bigger and have longer petioles, and the large, distinctive seed would still be attached to them at the 2-3 leaves stage.  

I'm no expert on Ptychosperma, though, but if you got them randomly germinating in your garden (somewhere in the USA, I presume, or maybe Australia), and not from the jungles of New Guinea, my money's on P. elegans.

Edited by PalmsandLiszt

Why won't you disclose your general location? It would help to know what palms might commonly be grown where you are.

Since so many of these palms seem to sprout in your yard why not try to locate a seed or two? This could help identify your seedlings. Considering the size of these palms you should be able to find at least one seed still attached or nearby.

How many threads do you intend to start in an attempt to identify these palms? You already have three now.

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/73073-can-anyone-help-me-what-plant-is-this/&tab=comments#comment-1053034

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/73188-is-this-broadleaf-lady-palm/&tab=comments#comment-1054402

3 hours ago, Valhallalla said:

Why won't you disclose your general location? It would help to know what palms might commonly be grown where you are.

Since so many of these palms seem to sprout in your yard why not try to locate a seed or two? This could help identify your seedlings. Considering the size of these palms you should be able to find at least one seed still attached or nearby.

How many threads do you intend to start in an attempt to identify these palms? You already have three now.

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/73073-can-anyone-help-me-what-plant-is-this/&tab=comments#comment-1053034

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/73188-is-this-broadleaf-lady-palm/&tab=comments#comment-1054402

amen to that. I don't understand why people have become so paranoid about revealing what part of the world they hide out in although they may confess every quirk to Mark Zuckerberg on FB/Meta. Then they wonder why no one responds to their pleas. I guarantee I have not and never will try to find you or anyone else to make a nuisance of myself.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.