• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Salt for Coconut Trees

Adi

I've been doing as much research as I can on fertilizing coconut trees. I've seen numerous people use Salt or Sodium Chloride to fertilize their coconut tree. I was wondering if it is ok to use Pink Himalayan salt to accomplish the same goal or no?

• Like 2

Epsom salt. There's threads on here with more info. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Do coconuts actually need salt? Is that recommended to do or is that just something you can personally give if you wanted too? I've only used palmgain but does salts do anything for the palm?

No, they don't need it. They can simply tolerate it. No need to give the something unecessary to endure.

• Like 2

I put salt in mine, it wasn't that much salt. The palm stayed dormant for a long time and started dying. Eventually it died.

• 2 weeks later...

According to the book Modern Coconut Management, studies on adding salt to the soil of young coconut plants caused a decrease in nutrients in both the foliage & soil.  Adding salt to yours may mean additional fertilizing to compensate.