• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Building a Platform anchored between Royal Palms

MexiTy

I am interested in anchoring a small platform between a few Royal Palms.  Has anyone seen this done or have any useful information about how the plams' growth might affect or be affected by building and anchoring a little tree house platform.  I was thinking of using tree house anchors designed to allow a small amount of movement between the anchor and the platform and see that royal palms are relatively strong and steady palms with very little flex in the wind.  Any thoughts or ideas?

41 minutes ago, MexiTy said:

I am interested in anchoring a small platform between a few Royal Palms.  Has anyone seen this done or have any useful information about how the plams' growth might affect or be affected by building and anchoring a little tree house platform.  I was thinking of using tree house anchors designed to allow a small amount of movement between the anchor and the platform and see that royal palms are relatively strong and steady palms with very little flex in the wind.  Any thoughts or ideas?

If this involves drilling holes into the trunks of the palms, its probably not a great idea. Got any pics of the area? How big are the Royals? 

Palms - Adonidia merillii1 Bismarckia nobilis, 2 Butia odorataBxJ1 BxJxBxS1 BxSChamaerops humilis1 Chambeyronia macrocarpa1 Hyophorbe lagenicaulis1 Hyophorbe verschaffeltiiLivistona chinensis1 Livistona nitida, 1 Phoenix canariensis3 Phoenix roebeleniiRavenea rivularis1 Rhapis excelsa1 Sabal bermudanaSabal palmetto4 Syagrus romanzoffianaTrachycarpus fortunei4 Washingtonia robusta1 Wodyetia bifurcata
Total: 41

I made a dinky rope bridge between two trunks once, but even that did not last.

The trunks will sway, move and expand more than they look like they do. The trees will not enjoy any metallic hardware piercing the trunk. Those 80 lb. (36kg) leaves falling one after another adds a challenge to anything built nearby.

I once had the idea of a large, rubberized mounting brace that circles the trunk and creates a barrier between the trunk and any object. I was trying to figure out a way to mount a Bat Box high up on one of my trees. Never got past the drawing stage, but I still have the idea of mounting objects on a Royal Palm trunk; nest boxes, weird lights, camera mounts, etc.

Royals are built to be wind resistant and to bear their own crown weight. I don't see them handling the sheering stress of anything really heavy mounted on one side. If you keep the weight of the platform down and allow it to move independently of the trees, then it might work. Try to avoid any permanent mounting hardware or anything that will dig into the trunk over time. On smaller, thinner palm trunks I have used a large pipe clamp outside of a cut piece of rubber garden hose or tire inner tube.

Ryan

South Florida

Pole climbing device that doesn't rely on spikes might work , especially for temporary purposes.  They grip on the diagonal but are free when horizontal so you can go up and down.  Sometimes you see them in playgrounds here to climb poles, or at least they used to be a thing.

I would avoid drilling anything into the tree. Maybe try cinching some double wrapped straps or ratchet-type straps to tighten and hold. Overtime you may have to release and move to not choke out the tree. 

Thanks everyone.  

I like the climbing device idea although it would rust out fast in our rain and seabreeze.    

I would have thought that a bolt would not affect the palm much since the entire trunk is fibrous and passes nutrients.

If drilling is not recommended, I might try something suspended...

Many a hammock has been hung in many a palm species and I have had 3 people easy in the big hammocks so 4 palms should hold a.  what about a suspended platform... try not so high up and see how that goes... then maybe move higher as I get a feel for the stability.  Add in a nice rope railing woven around the palms...

Might give it a shot.

It might be possible to use a clamping type device that permanently puts a dent in the expanding trunk.  It would look ugly at the dent but should not effect the overall health of the royal.

If you were using Sabals, I think drilling holes might work better.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds