• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Aloe sabaea

Josue Diaz

Came home to find my 3 year old sabaea decapitated. Not sure what happened. There is about 18 inches of trunk left in the ground. Will sabaea branch below the break? I will try to root this top piece but I'm super bummed by it breaking.

20220719_184137.jpg

41 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

Came home to find my 3 year old sabaea decapitated. Not sure what happened. There is about 18 inches of trunk left in the ground. Will sabaea branch below the break? I will try to root this top piece but I'm super bummed by it breaking.

20220719_184137.jpg

Bummer,

Tough call on if the top will root.  Ime, Seems a little short and may not have developed enough woody tissue to see it through the rooting process..  Doesn't mean it isn't worth trying though. Would definitely cut off the lowest leaf, dip the end in Sulfur Powder, and pot in Turface / Pumice Only..  NO organics in the soil mix, and keep in bright shade..  Similar process as you'd go through rooting Plumeria Cuttings.

As far as the trunk?  Hopefully others growing it have had theirs produce new growth if damaged,  but mine didn't and just rotted.. Keep in mind, that's under our conditions here ...and in a pot.  May respond differently in the ground.

• Like 1

I had a branch fall off a tree and knock the head off my sabaea, about the same size as yours.  I rooted out the broken head, and the trunk produced 3 heads;  I eventually took 2 of them off and rooted them, and left the original trunk with one head.  Best thing that ever happened :-).  Having said that; it's a close call if your head will root but I'd follow Nathan's suggestions and see what happens.  And hopefully your trunk will produce heads like mine did.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

San Fernando Valley, California

13 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Bummer,

Tough call on if the top will root.  Ime, Seems a little short and may not have developed enough woody tissue to see it through the rooting process..  Doesn't mean it isn't worth trying though. Would definitely cut off the lowest leaf, dip the end in Sulfur Powder, and pot in Turface / Pumice Only..  NO organics in the soil mix, and keep in bright shade..  Similar process as you'd go through rooting Plumeria Cuttings.

As far as the trunk?  Hopefully others growing it have had theirs produce new growth if damaged,  but mine didn't and just rotted.. Keep in mind, that's under our conditions here ...and in a pot.  May respond differently in the ground.

Thanks I'll let it dry a few more days and put it in pumice. Fingers crossed!

12 hours ago, Peter said:

I had a branch fall off a tree and knock the head off my sabaea, about the same size as yours.  I rooted out the broken head, and the trunk produced 3 heads;  I eventually took 2 of them off and rooted them, and left the original trunk with one head.  Best thing that ever happened :-).  Having said that; it's a close call if your head will root but I'd follow Nathan's suggestions and see what happens.  And hopefully your trunk will produce heads like mine did.

That's reassuring! I read also that frost damaged sabaea have sprouted at the break also. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/19/2022 at 7:03 PM, Josue Diaz said:

my 3 year old sabaea decapitated. Not sure what happened. There is about 18 inches of trunk left in the ground. Will sabaea branch below the break? I will try to root this top piece but I'm super bummed by it breaking.

I wasn't familiar with this Aloe by name, but when I looked it up, I know I have seen it in a garden or botanical garden previously.  I would be bummed if I had that happen to this species as well, as it is very attractive.  Hopefully you will have something akin to Peter's experience and just get a bonus out of the deal.  I guess I would still be curious as to what happened so you can try to avoid it in the future though.  Good luck Josue.

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation