• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis decipiens finally in the ground

ExperimentalGrower

Hey folks,

I haven’t spent much time here this year, been busy working on my home garden build. It’s a slow going process, just me building my own personal botanical garden. I was finally able to plant my Dypsis decipiens. The planting bed around it remains incomplete. Going to be hauling in more rocks as big as I can manage by hand. I grew this one out in a pot for a couple years and in that time it probably tripled in size. It’s not super slow like others have described. It’s quite a vigorous grower. A touch sensitive to too much fertilizer, and the burn you see is from a recent 105F+ day around the solstice that fried some foliage. The soil is deeply amended. The palm is a confirmed triple, but it’s looking like it might go quad. When I removed it from the pot I discovered all the bottom soil had washed out exposing the roots, odd! 

427A5B6B-1E78-4AC3-97F4-F0E64C49A900.jpeg

9964DA8B-240C-4347-AF85-7A6F945182F8.jpeg

A6380EB9-CC3E-459B-A08E-77B872D99837.jpeg

8B9E9A58-5FD7-40E5-BAD0-652EE26A7A40.jpeg

7CDC80DE-8CB7-4149-95FA-1005F2C52885.jpeg

117FD4CB-BAE5-4068-B48A-8618FA9625B8.jpeg

53DCC0A1-1230-477A-901E-70C5E548401C.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

Very healthy looking! I'm interested to see the rest of your progress in the yard. Keep on growing! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richnorm said:

That's well ready for planting!  Do you know the provenance? It look kinda hybrid-like to me.

I was thinking the same thing. When I first looked at it…I immediately thought it wasn’t pure Decipiens. That and the fact you said it is a vigorous grower. I’ve never seen a Decipien split like that either. 

It’s a sweet looking tree whatever it is. 

-dale

• Like 1

10 hours ago, richnorm said:

That's well ready for planting!  Do you know the provenance? It look kinda hybrid-like to me.

I obtained it as a small five gallon plant from Flora Grubb in San Francisco, grown initially in SoCal by Grubb & Nadler. So far, a lot of people on social media believe it to be a hybrid. I’m curious to know what it’s a hybrid of if that’s the case but will just have to observe it’s growth.

9 hours ago, Billeb said:

I was thinking the same thing. When I first looked at it…I immediately thought it wasn’t pure Decipiens. That and the fact you said it is a vigorous grower. I’ve never seen a Decipien split like that either. 

It’s a sweet looking tree whatever it is. 

-dale

Seems to be what everyone is saying. My initial through was that I just had a unique decipiens, but after so many people have suggested it, I think that’s correct. Now a hybrid of what I don’t know…

23 minutes ago, BayAndroid said:

Where did you get this palm?

Flora Grubb in SF a couple years ago.

@ExperimentalGrower mark this date on your calendar and post annual updates.

It's fun to see and compare years in the ground.

I do this for my Satakentia and Raphia Sudanica posts

• Like 1

I'm far from an expert, but my money's on it being one of the DD hybrids that seem to be popping up. 

Here are photos of my DD hybrid (purchased as "Dypsis decipiens x onilahensis" from Josh at Fairview Nursery)...

hybrid.jpg.7e9e20f1ac4a2c6f9b35355931f652bd.jpg

hybrid2.jpg.0e590a7c613909e149d47952b63011c4.jpg

And here's your plant again...

dd2.thumb.jpeg.e3b2144d96f8da6de8f8fe837d3f3928.jpeg

For comparison, here's a non-hybrid Dypsis decipiens owned by @The Gerg showing the more typical "tornado erupting from the ground" form (my non-hybrid DD looks like this as well)...

dd3.thumb.jpg.822f1687f767e4b9e7b115cd99ac3a8a.jpg

Looking at these photos, it sure looks like yours might be a cousin of my plant. As for what they're going to look like when mature, I'm hoping @Hilo Jason will post photos of his "Dypsis decipiens x onilahensis" at some point... since we all know HI grown plants tend to grow faster than CA grown ones. Please do post periodic photos as well, as I'm really curious if all of our plants will grow similarly.

• Like 3

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

13 minutes ago, iDesign said:

I'm far from an expert, but my money's on it being one of the DD hybrids that seem to be popping up. 

Here are photos of my DD hybrid (purchased as "Dypsis decipiens x onilahensis" from Josh at Fairview Nursery)...

hybrid.jpg.7e9e20f1ac4a2c6f9b35355931f652bd.jpg

hybrid2.jpg.0e590a7c613909e149d47952b63011c4.jpg

And here's your plant again...

dd2.thumb.jpeg.e3b2144d96f8da6de8f8fe837d3f3928.jpeg

For comparison, here's a non-hybrid Dypsis decipiens owned by @The Gerg showing the more typical "tornado erupting from the ground" form (my non-hybrid DD looks like this as well)...

dd3.thumb.jpg.822f1687f767e4b9e7b115cd99ac3a8a.jpg

Looking at these photos, it sure looks like yours might be a cousin of my plant. As for what they're going to look like when mature, I'm hoping @Hilo Jason will post photos of his "Dypsis decipiens x onilahensis" at some point... since we all know HI grown plants tend to grow faster than CA grown ones. Please do post periodic photos as well, as I'm really curious if all of our plants will grow similarly.

The ironic thing about all this is that I’ve really wished that someone would hybridize decipiens x onhilahensis over the years. I may have just that, seeing your pics might indicate as much. 

When I pulled it out of the pot I couldn’t see any indication of a heal which I also thought was pretty odd. My other pure onhilahensis shares very similar coloration and traits as well.

• Like 1

In case you missed it, here's a recent thread about what I'm thinking is the DD hybrid that's popping up various places right now...

If we all indeed have palms from the same batch, here's the origin story per @Hilo Jason ...

"The Dypsis Decipiens Hybrid was grown from seed off of a Dypsis Decipiens here on the Big Island, from a private garden.  Once seed was germinated and growing, the owner could tell that some of the seed must have hybridized with another Dypsis in his garden as it did not look like Decipiens at the seedling stage.  I did ask the owner and it sounds like there is a very large and flowering Dypsis Onilahensis in the vicinity, so I think its very possible that this could be Dypsis Decipiens x Onilahensis.  Sure looks like that could be the cross to me, but hybrids can be somewhat of a mystery, especially when they come out of gardens that have multiple flowering palms all happening at the same time."

I'm glad you're happy with the fact it might be a hybrid. I paid twice as much for my DD Hybrid as for my non-hybrid DD. I'm excited, though I really wish I could picture what it's going to look like when mature :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

Maybe it’s a acclimation deal . I know this decipiens from @Perito when I bought it was buried in his camellias but the color was sweet looked like red latania I’ll dig up a picture of it . But here it is today I figure it was dead all the beautiful colors completely burned off it now it looks like a decipiens . 

image.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/20/2022 at 7:07 AM, iDesign said:

Here’s my hybrid (just posted on the other thread as well). 
9C74656F-E66D-46B1-9713-B2A2B11B8CB8.thumb.jpeg.f57b4fa4549dacf2b03422c182b4efbe.jpeg
02F97D8E-A8F7-4D8E-ABB7-F50E5C39D368.thumb.jpeg.8ca22d927c31fb9ee6a75a6f1d453c73.jpeg

C62C9CA4-B94D-404D-AB5A-044B5953F92C.thumb.jpeg.801c4bc28cc356b650f50c75d8edcfb0.jpeg

I’m no expert but I’d say that the palm at the beginning of this thread (which is really nice) is not this Decipiens x Onilahensis hybrid. 

I honestly see Dypsis Ambositrae when I look at those pictures. The thin leaflets and overall recurve of the fronds. There was something I called a “stiff leafed Ambositrae” that went around years ago. Reminds me of that. Just my 2 cents. But who know with Dypsis!