• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Alocasia Lutea

el-blanco

For those in Lo-Cal growing Alocasia Lutea how does it do for you over the winter? I found 4 at one of the local nurseries that I have planted.  

Mine are planted in great loamy soil and taking off nicely.

Thank you!

Jeff

Dana Point Tropicals - C-27 License #906810

(949) 542-0999

52 minutes ago, el-blanco said:

For those in Lo-Cal growing Alocasia Lutea how does it do for you over the winter?

I'm not sure if it is the same species of Alocasia that I was growing in Carlsbad, but if not quite similar.  It would get beat up and push smaller leaves, lose leaves in winter.  It only survived a couple of years after I moved out and it was a rental property.  Perhaps having gardeners care for the yard they got aggressive with trimming it, as they did with some of the palms initially.  I had it adjacent to the house (house to the east of plant) where it got reflected heat from the house in the afternoon and sun from mid-day until the sun went too low and the palms along the back upper slope gave it some late afternoon shade.  I haven't tried any Alocasia species here in Leucadia but I do seem them in neighborhood gardens.  Keep us posted on how your plants perform through winter.  Post a couple of reference shots now as you plant them too.  A visual baseline is always helpful.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Macrorrhizos do grow better planted out ..esp' out of the tropics.

This grows very well for me in the tropics .

macro-lutea.JPG

• Like 1

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.