• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Transplanted Pygmy date palms

MelissaJitsu

Hello all!

I'm so glad I've found this forum! I'm new to Palm trees. My next door neighbor was going to have these beautiful pygmy date palms removed from her front yard because she was sick of being poked by them while gardening! I couldn't let them die, so with a shovel several hours later I had as much of their root balls dug up as was possible, they were in planters surrounded by bricks. Lots of little roots were cut :(

In a hurry, I tilled this front flower bed. Super hard clay soil here in Costa Mesa! As I turned the soil over I mixed in one bag of chicken manure, a big bag of soil amendment (picture attached), and two bags of gypsum. After I got the trees in the ground I've sprinkled worm castings around the surface because... Well worm castings. I started to put mulch down then I thought I better look into their care before I go further! Help! How do I keep them alive?! How can I help them heal their roots?? Also, one seems to have white powder all over new growth? Normal?

I've removed several fronds from each tree to try to take the load off of the roots. Any advice will be so appreciated!

PXL_20220726_023819850.jpg

PXL_20220726_023812131.jpg

PXL_20220726_023901436.jpg

PXL_20220726_023917477.jpg

PXL_20220726_023842903.jpg

• Like 2

Probably keep it well watered and as others told me before that liquid kelp is good for root growth but that's all I know and I think the white stuff is scurf but if it's something else I'm sure somebody who knows more than I do could say, nice trees though! I hope it enjoys its new spot! :D

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MelissaJitsu said:

The white stuff on new growth I mentioned...

I wouldn't be worried about the white dusty coating as long as it’s only on the new growth. It’s a waxy coating produced by the palm. Keep the root area damp but not soaking wet and you should be good to go. I’ve transplanted my Pygmy three times due to starting in a large planter for a few years, then planting in the ground, and then moving across town! 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Ohh y'all they aren't doing good. I've watered them deeply and often, at least twice a day. Never letting the soil get dry. And I only just got my hands on liquid kelp, but maybe it's too late?

A neighbor told me I should've kept the fronds tied up and together so they wouldn't lose moisture. Any advice anyone?

PXL_20220821_162724836.jpg

PXL_20220821_162728228.jpg

Yeah they don’t look like they will make it. I have tried to transplant similar ones and have failed. The best success would come from carefully root pruning prior to the move. Obviously, you didn’t have that option and gave it your best shot. And I am not familiar with Costa Mesa weather but August is not a great time to transplant. If you absolutely love these palms, they are easily replaced and not prohibitively expensive. A potted palm from a big box store will transplant easily and will not suffer the stress.