• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anyone recognize these seeds?

BillDaCat8

Hi everyone. 

So, my friend lives in the western part of Los Angeles.  While out walking around his neighborhood a few weeks ago, He came across some kind of palm tree that was dropping these seeds. He did not take any pictures and can’t remember exactly where he was when he found them.  It couldn’t have been too far from his place. Does anyone recognize them or have any guesses? He brought me these four to try. But, I’m not sure exactly how to go about getting them to germinate. 

Thank you. 

434E9025-1913-4B6D-B24A-4C6A451DC94D.jpeg

A5842F21-0F5E-4E77-A5DE-E1D07E9DEE49.jpeg

327BBB09-DB1C-4D08-8A92-7B47B9FF4D63.jpeg

18 minutes ago, BillDaCat8 said:

Hi everyone. 

So, my friend lives in the western part of Los Angeles.  While out walking around his neighborhood a few weeks ago, He came across some kind of palm tree that was dropping these seeds. He did not take any pictures and can’t remember exactly where he was when he found them.  It couldn’t have been too far from his place. Does anyone recognize them or have any guesses? He brought me these four to try. But, I’m not sure exactly how to go about getting them to germinate. 

Thank you. 

They'll be easier to ID with the fruit removed.  I'd soak them in some lukewarm water for a few hours to soften up the dried fruit and then scrape away the fruit from the seed.  Most times the fruit has some chemical that inhibits germination.  Then soak the cleaned seeds and plant in a community pot or use the baggie method with bottom heat.

Jon Sunder

9 minutes ago, Fusca said:

They'll be easier to ID with the fruit removed.  I'd soak them in some lukewarm water for a few hours to soften up the dried fruit and then scrape away the fruit from the seed.  Most times the fruit has some chemical that inhibits germination.  Then soak the cleaned seeds and plant in a community pot or use the baggie method with bottom heat.

Good call. I’ll do that and then post more pics. 

Thank you. 

I agree they look like Cycas seed. Just as a precaution I would wear some disposable gloves when cleaning and dispose of the flesh so no animal can eat it. I have read somewhere that the seed and maybe the flesh may be cariogenic. If they turn out to be cycas they will need slightly different treatment from most palm seeds for germination.

Well, I soaked them for 4-5 hours yesterday.  They were still hard as rocks.  So, I let them soak overnight.  Still hard as rocks. I can’t even dig my thumbnail into them.  Not sure I’ll be able to get the skins off of them without getting medieval with a pair of pliers or a knife. 

The wife had this jar just sitting on the counter. Jellybeans were gone. So, I claimed it. 

46EFEFF8-AC24-4C7E-BE3C-7088C0B6FB77.jpeg

F767C532-CF87-4C8A-AB65-A05715B4DACF.jpeg

• Like 1

Well i can assure you that you dont want to take those chill pills lol

But yea, those are definitely Cycas revoluta seeds, or for a common name, Sago seeds.

• Like 1

Palms - Adonidia merillii1 Bismarckia nobilis, 2 Butia odorataBxJ1 BxJxBxS1 BxSChamaerops humilis1 Chambeyronia macrocarpa1 Hyophorbe lagenicaulis1 Hyophorbe verschaffeltiiLivistona chinensis1 Livistona nitida, 1 Phoenix canariensis3 Phoenix roebeleniiRavenea rivularis1 Rhapis excelsa1 Sabal bermudanaSabal palmetto4 Syagrus romanzoffianaTrachycarpus fortunei4 Washingtonia robusta1 Wodyetia bifurcata
Total: 41

Thank you everyone for your help with these. I will treat them as Sago seeds and we’ll see what happens. 

• Like 1