• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal Louisiana Growth

Allen

Here is the progression of my Sabal minor "Louisiana".  That is the best ID we can come up with for this palm

IMG_0788.JPG

5D3_8677.jpg

IMG_1834.JPG

tropicals June 2021-7.jpg

louisiana1.thumb.jpg.40d9b5a4cc1cd74630e9639a6e0bf6a2.jpg

louisiana 3.jpg

Edited by Allen
  • Like 22
  • Upvote 2

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Definitely fast growth, I’ve seen it in person. Feels like it’s made out of thick plastic lol, really cool one! 

• Like 4

Nice. Certainly living up to its reputation as a fast grower.

My Louisiana is roughly the same age as yours but it’s only slightly bigger than yours was in 2019 since it’s growing in a pot.

• Like 1

I'm seeing similar growth speed with my S. Louisianas.  They aren't rockets, but they are damn quick and look just like yours.  I need to document progress for this year but will wait as it's putting out 2-3 spears at a time.

Edited by tlow
  • Like 5

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

⁹My Louisiana in a pot was putting out fronds as fast as my Causiarum in a pot. They both got really pot bound before I was able to get in the ground. There both using all energy putting out roots hopefully. This was a seedling from @Phil 2yrs ago, been in the ground now 3months or so. 

T J 

20220429_195018.jpg

• Like 9

T J 

• 1 month later...
On 8/2/2022 at 8:39 PM, RJ said:

When it seeds keep us in mind please :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT-ZMA190Ek

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

• 2 months later...
11 minutes ago, Weston wally said:

@AllenThat sabal Louisiana  looks nice, how hardy do u think they are without protection at that size?

Fronds 5-10F, whole palm would probably recover from under 0F with defoliation.  I covered it for this crazy vortex. 

• Like 2

@Allenyou might as well plant a palmetto at that point they are about the same hardiness although I think Louisiana is hardier I would say they palm could survive negatives 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Weston wally said:

@Allenyou might as well plant a palmetto at that point they are about the same hardiness although I think Louisiana is hardier I would say they palm could survive negatives 

My palmetto burns bad at 10F

• 9 months later...

Update pic on the Louisiana Below

Edited by Allen

Update Oct 2023

thumbnail_IMG_4679.jpg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

Great pic Allen, that certainly is a strikingly beautiful S. ‘Louisiana’, I love the big fronds and the inflorescence arching out towards the camera, that really makes the shot!

Is there any way we could get a close up of the trunk development?

On 10/2/2023 at 11:10 PM, Dwarf Fan said:

Is there any way we could get a close up of the trunk development?

A full Youtube video premieres Thursday on this palm.

thumbnail_IMG_4685.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, DTS1 said:

how long would it take this one to get to look like the first picture?IMG_3695.thumb.jpeg.cd6c72f0e0e5f20200747d7b0ef229fa.jpeg

1 year

• Upvote 1

• Like 1

On 10/7/2023 at 8:53 AM, Allen said:

A full Youtube video premieres Thursday on this palm.

thumbnail_IMG_4685.jpg

Nice to see I am not the only one who abuses their Felco, geez Allen you are really getting your moneys worth out of those Pruners!!! LOL! (I LOVE my F-2 they make cutting off old fronds such a joy, definitely worth every penny so much better than Corona pruners!) 😁

But seriously, that is such a beautiful Louisiana it looks picture perfect I would be a thrilled to have such in incredible example very nice Allen she looks very happy! 👍 

It is incredible how you can see the trunk hardening off and turning from completely green to a more “woody” trunk! That is an incredible transition to capture with a nice high def shot absolutely stunning that is even cooler looking than I had imagined thank you for sharing Allen!

So how old exactly is your Louisiana 7-8 years?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dwarf Fan said:

Nice to see I am not the only one who abuses their Felco, geez Allen you are really getting your moneys worth out of those Pruners!!! LOL! (I LOVE my F-2 they make cutting off old fronds such a joy, definitely worth every penny so much better than Corona pruners!) 😁

But seriously, that is such a beautiful Louisiana it looks picture perfect I would be a thrilled to have such in incredible example very nice Allen she looks very happy! 👍 

It is incredible how you can see the trunk hardening off and turning from completely green to a more “woody” trunk! That is an incredible transition to capture with a nice high def shot absolutely stunning that is even cooler looking than I had imagined thank you for sharing Allen!

So how old exactly is your Louisiana 7-8 years?

Well the Louisiana is beyond the cutting range of the felco anymore.  We are at tree saw stage.  But the palm is probably 8-9 years old. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

End of Year Update.  A video of other palms is on the channel as well. 

• Like 8
  • Upvote 3

I managed to get a 'Louisiana' seedling this year. I'll just grow it on, in a container for another year or two before planting it out. It's encouraging to learn that these ain't slouches. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

I'll just grow it on, in a container for another year or two before planting it out

Is it going in the ground some day ? If so the sooner the better = ) 

T J 

T J 

23 hours ago, Allen said:

Looks great Allen! Hopefully mine will look half that good :greenthumb:

• Like 1

hopefully i can get mine in the ground along with the small butia i have this year

• Like 1

My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@dts_3
Palms in Ground Currently: Rhapidophyllum Hystrix (x1), Butia Capitata (x1), Sabal Causiarum (x2), Sabal Louisiana (x1).

14 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Is it going in the ground some day ? If so the sooner the better = ) 

T J 

That's the plan.

On 12/31/2023 at 12:29 PM, Allen said:

Jeez look at the size of that thing! That’s amazing! Yeah I could see it getting that big in swamps

• Like 1

Your Louisiana is looking nice and green . 

Mine has a bunch of seed on it right now . My inflorescences don't get as tall as on my Minors . 

I'm getting some kind of " frond sag "  on  my older fronds where you can see that the fronds are bending down at the rachis . I haven't fertilized in a while so maybe some palm fertilizer and epsom salt might help .  Any ideas on what is causing those  collapsing fronds ?

Will

IMG_4254.thumb.jpeg.10a412648b11cfaa55be0cd2a7eb6af8.jpeg

IMG_4253.thumb.jpeg.48b1e21768be0d3923e7f6a01f984e98.jpeg

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Will Simpson said:

I'm getting some kind of " frond sag "  on  my older fronds where you can see that the fronds are bending down at the rachis . I haven't fertilized in a while so maybe some palm fertilizer and epsom salt might help .  Any ideas on what is causing those  collapsing fronds ?

Best guess..cold damage over winter weakening that point and collapsing when it warms up or wind

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Will Simpson said:

Your Louisiana is looking nice and green . 

Mine has a bunch of seed on it right now . My inflorescences don't get as tall as on my Minors . 

Will

IMG_4254.thumb.jpeg.10a412648b11cfaa55be0cd2a7eb6af8.jpeg

IMG_4253.thumb.jpeg.48b1e21768be0d3923e7f6a01f984e98.jpeg

I believe Sabal ‘Louisiana’ is just genetically predisposed to the “collapsed frond” or “frond sag” characteristic (it’s a feature, not a bug). I have seen the exact same collapsed frond look on many other famous Sabal ‘Louisiana’ pics online in various well mantained gardens and also in habitat shots as well, but I have never seen this frond characteristic on any other Sabal species or variety.

Observe the pics below this is clearly NOT a fertilizer or cold damage issue, this is one of the defining genetic traits that can be used to positively ID a Sabal var. ‘Louisiana’:

Juniper Level Botanic Garden:

C4404094-38A7-4C2A-BCE6-86B62A7FB879.thumb.jpeg.c228958165c7f75b9a69ad12c22e403b.jpeg

Dave’s Garden:CDA00F7A-A7F1-4579-A352-1CFC2D5A72E2.jpeg.0ea114fdc97a7a104a111d8a72704b01.jpeg

4CA3C9B5-802D-4039-8A92-2FB3D6A5107B.jpeg.730e1fc4d1128740f36747134c2162e9.jpeg

• Like 9

High winds usually do that to older fronds.  You see it on minors too.

15 hours ago, Dwarf Fan said:

I believe Sabal ‘Louisiana’ is just genetically predisposed to the “collapsed frond” or “frond sag” characteristic (it’s a feature, not a bug). I have seen the exact same collapsed frond look on many other famous Sabal ‘Louisiana’ pics online in various well mantained gardens and also in habitat shots as well, but I have never seen this frond characteristic on any other Sabal species or variety.

Observe the pics below this is clearly NOT a fertilizer or cold damage issue, this is one of the defining genetic traits that can be used to positively ID a Sabal var. ‘Louisiana’:

Juniper Level Botanic Garden:

C4404094-38A7-4C2A-BCE6-86B62A7FB879.thumb.jpeg.c228958165c7f75b9a69ad12c22e403b.jpeg

Dave’s Garden:CDA00F7A-A7F1-4579-A352-1CFC2D5A72E2.jpeg.0ea114fdc97a7a104a111d8a72704b01.jpeg

4CA3C9B5-802D-4039-8A92-2FB3D6A5107B.jpeg.730e1fc4d1128740f36747134c2162e9.jpeg

I don't mind that kind of frond collapse , but on mine it's a higher percentage of the total number of fronds . It isn't that windy in that protected location either . Maybe I should water better and fertilize and it will put on more fronds and therefore have less of a percentage of collapsed  fronds ?

Will

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

@Allen how wide is your Sabal Lousiana (including fronds)? I'm trying to figure out how far apart to plant it from a couple Sabal Palmettos.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 1:32 PM, Will Simpson said:

I don't mind that kind of frond collapse , but on mine it's a higher percentage of the total number of fronds . It isn't that windy in that protected location either . Maybe I should water better and fertilize and it will put on more fronds and therefore have less of a percentage of collapsed  fronds ?

Will

That is interesting that even in a location protected from wind it still happens, because most people dismiss it as being “wind” related. 

If my theory that the frond collapse is actually genetic and NOT environmental, maybe your specimen just has more of the “collapsed frond” genetics and is already predisposed to permanently grow and develop that way. If so, there would be no way to reverse course.

If you do find a “lessening” of the effect by making changes in waterings or fertilizer regimen please keep us posted.

• Like 2