• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Archontophoenix cunninghamiana Burning

Dpw4205

How’s it going guys, first post here. Been trying to search for answers but haven’t been able to completely figure out how to navigate this forum yet. 
I bought some Archontophoenix cunninghamiana from a nursery here in socal. I live in Menifee Ca about 20 minutes north of Temecula CA. From what I’ve been reading online these trees can grow here but usually say they want partial shade. Where I have them they are full sun all day until about 430-5. I bought them from a nursery that said they grew them full sun. They had some sunburn on them when I got them so I figured they would do okay. They were good for about 2 weeks, we had some unusual humid weather here. The last few days have been over 100 and dry. The new fronds and older are all burning. My question is will this be able to adapt to this climate in full sun? Is there anything I can do to protect them? They have been in the ground for about 3 weeks. I am getting new leaves opening so they seem to be growing. I have them mulched and water them twice a day and keep the ground wet all day long. I was thinking about adding super thrive to their watering. Any tips or advice would be appreciated. 

37DA3A1C-3A85-4FDC-9D7C-63FF7B74AA94.png

Turn your sprinkler on for 1 hour and soak those palms.  Keep watering them.  You can not over water these guys.

Just looking at your average temperatures says a lot. Archontophoenix cunninghamiana are not terribly fond of full afternoon sun in a hot summer climate. They will easily burn. Likewise, frost is their enemy as well and I’m guessing, with average lows of 35°F in December and 36°F in January, you must get your fair share of frost. I wish you the best. Keep them wet. They are semi-aquatic palms so it’s impossible to overwater them. 

30CA5E2A-9EBA-4247-B9CE-E56867EE61B8.thumb.png.26635a304b1cb38a650bcf9fe0caea3e.png

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Yeah it definitely gets hot here. It’s over 100 this week and they aren’t liking it. I guess I’m asking is if they will get acclimated to this climate eventually or am I better off going with something different there? I upped the water like you guys said, I was worried about root rot but after some more reading and seeing your posts about yours growing in a pond I upped the water a lot. Hoping that will help them survive this summer. 
thank you both for your replies. 

10 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Just looking at your average temperatures says a lot. Archontophoenix cunninghamiana are not terribly fond of full afternoon sun in a hot summer climate. They will easily burn. Likewise, frost is their enemy as well and I’m guessing, with average lows of 35°F in December and 36°F in January, you must get your fair share of frost. I wish you the best. Keep them wet. They are semi-aquatic palms so it’s impossible to overwater them. 

30CA5E2A-9EBA-4247-B9CE-E56867EE61B8.thumb.png.26635a304b1cb38a650bcf9fe0caea3e.png