• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm growth over 7 years

TonyDFW

Here is the yard today in 2007.

Notice that the Washingtonia is now taller than the Trachycarpus. Also, check out the Brahea armata.

:)

Lots of heat, sunshine, regular water and deep fertile soils, and cold hardiness= fast growth.

post-356-1189350954_thumb.jpg

excellent job tony!!! those are some nice palms,the location makes them even more impressive

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

You are to growing palms in a challenging environment what Warren Buffet is to investing...a Maestro...well done.

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Tony--

Damn fine looking palms! Thanks for the before and after. Should inspire others in your area to get growing!

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

How is your Caesalpinia pulcherrima doing Tony?

If I recall from your piccies a couple of year back they were doing great then.

Mine will need a couple more years before I plant mine out.

Regards Andy.

Bangor, Norin Iron Zone 9a Min temp normally around -3 Degrees C, rarely -6C. Only 2 x -2.0C so far, verging on 9b this year. No snow or Frost this Winter. Several just subzero's this year, lets hope it stays this way. Normally around 5C to 10C + in winter, with lots of wind & rain. Summers usually better, 20C to 25 C occasionally 25C to 28C, also quite humid being a coastal town

Tony,

What happen to your house? Looks awful small now............beautiful! :D

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

thanks all..

Andy, the pride of barbados, after 5 years, is fading away this year. It came back and only grew about 6 inches. I'm sure it won't return next year.

Wow, very impressive...great job!

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Tony, nice job and great placement.  That picture should be made available to your local newspaper Garden section so all DFW can see it.  Your Brahea armata is doing better than mine.  Mine thinks it's a dwarf!  So, I'm gonna try grow the newly discovered Brahea 'Super Silver'  offered by RPS and see if that will do better for me.  Its petiole is thornless as well.  In fact I already have a tiny plant of it to plant out soon.  That one just might be hardy for you as well.  Here's the link to see it and read about it:

Brahea 'Super Silver'

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!