• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dasylirion longissimum

BigFrond

On 9/2/2022 at 7:47 PM, Meangreen94z said:

They are finicky, there seems to be no guarantee on what will kill them and what they will thrive in. 

I find they do well in the actual desert with absolutely no care at all. Lol

7 hours ago, ahosey01 said:

I find they do well in the actual desert with absolutely no care at all. Lol

I would agree that makes the most sense but I know someone in Phoenix who had problems with random core rot. Out here it seems once you get them established you stand a lot better chance, they definitely don’t like being moved around or kept in a container for long.

1 hour ago, Meangreen94z said:

I would agree that makes the most sense but I know someone in Phoenix who had problems with random core rot. Out here it seems once you get them established you stand a lot better chance, they definitely don’t like being moved around or kept in a container for long.

I have one in the ground in Coastal Southern California for a dozen years in the ground.   My neighbor has one that was planted long before mine doing well too.  My inspiration for growing it was a very large specimen in Point Loma area of San Diego.   So apparently they can survive and even thrive outside of the desert.  Mine is planted among Cycads and Aloes in fast draining soil, so doesn't get excessive water.

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Apparently many of the sotols grown as Dasylirion longissimum are usually Dasylirion quadrangulatum. There are minor differences between the two.

Hi 103˚, Lo 70˚

Edited by Tom in Tucson
  • Like 1

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

1 hour ago, Meangreen94z said:

I wonder about this only because most nurseries here that sell them keep them around for quite some time, and not always under the most optimal conditions for nursery stock stuck in containers until sold.

15 hours ago, Tom in Tucson said:

Apparently many of the sotols grown as Dasylirion longissimum are usually Dasylirion quadrangulatum. There are minor differences between the two.

Hi 103˚, Lo 70˚

I will have to look up the descriptive differences and see if mine fits the D longissimum or quadrangulatum description better.  Thank you for the insight Tom.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation