• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

King palm fronds rapidly turning brown - how can this tree be saved?

PixelsaurusRex

The Bay Area heat wave appears to be accelerating frond death on my King Palm. Several new dry brown fronds this week.

The tree was planted earlier this year. It arrived with several fronds having their ends snipped off and those were the first to go brown.

Any tips on how to help it recover?

This palm receives a lot of sun and is watered via irrigation 3x per week. I apply Moon Valley's Super Palm Juice once every month. During the heat wave, I also started additional deep watering.

IMG_1646.jpeg

IMG_1647.jpeg

Adam, the more water the better. They like even swampy conditions. You’re not far from me if you’re in Saratoga. King palms should do well for for you. I have several groves of them here and the hot sun has affected them minimally. The fence behind them likely traps some heat as well.. Keep them wet and they should adjust. They really prefer partial shade but full sun is okay. 

Edited by Jim in Los Altos
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

I agree with Jim. Every day soak that rootball with a puddle of water. They will recover but not well without moist to wet soil. These palms grow along river banks.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

1 hour ago, PixelsaurusRex said:

Thanks for the wonderful advice @Jim in Los Altosand @Tyrone

I'm off to soak that palm!

Nice to meet you!

Jim and Tyrone beat me to it: the more water the better! They’re Swamp Things, literally.

Keep them happy and they’re gorgeous.

Below are some of my Archontophoenix. 

6CA91B84-71E9-4979-8481-A84647CA5194.thumb.jpeg.67f8e7499a397aff59e3b5c8cb1f4697.jpeg

6F81DF99-A590-4188-B406-176B00524FE7.thumb.jpeg.8ec5a8fc7db0c78c97c7f0dd10141af3.jpeg

• Like 7

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Ouch! They got BBQ'd. It was very intense here at my house. Even with heavy watering, my smaller double kings got bronzed pretty well done on the southern facing sides. Here's the part to look forward to, my biggest king (which I still give a lot of water to) was 100% unscathed, which I was very impressed by. I used to be too worried to heavily water, but with time I got used to the fact that these trees need it. 

• Like 1

Wow, beautiful palms @DoomsDave! Inspiring!

Btw, my king palm came from the nursery with the ends of several fronds snipped off. Is the idea that those fronds will die and fall off, but the overall tree can still survive with new growth?

5 hours ago, PixelsaurusRex said:

Wow, beautiful palms @DoomsDave! Inspiring!

Btw, my king palm came from the nursery with the ends of several fronds snipped off. Is the idea that those fronds will die and fall off, but the overall tree can still survive with new growth?

Nurseries routinely snip off any brown tips on palms and other plants so they are cosmetically more pleasing. 

• Like 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! 3 weeks later, I've been giving that King Palm plenty of deep watering!

Landscapers snipped off dead branches and the attached photos are the result.

Is there anything else I can do?

IMG_0033.jpeg

IMG_0034.jpeg

In my opinion the green one might make it and the others are toast. I would just saw them at the ground and go with a single. Continue to flood them

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Fire your landscaper.  Turn the house on trickle at the trunks.....come back in a week.  See if you get new growth. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, PixelsaurusRex said:

Thanks @enigma99and @3 Milesfrom Gulf of Mexico!  I'll keep watering and look for growth.

Going forward, what palm care should I expect from a landscaping service? They set up the irrigation system and occasionally trim trees

Honestly….to me it’s one of those things “if you want it done right, you have to do it yourself”.  Vast majority of landscapers….

A: don’t give a crap about anything in your garden

B: don’t know anything about what’s in your garden. 

Literally cut, blow and on to the next. IF I hired a gardener, I would tell him not to cut anything unless I told him. I wouldn’t want me as a customer. 

-dale

• Upvote 1

@BillebThat's helpful, thanks! 

For sure, they clearly don't understand how to take care of a King Palm. If I'm lucky, the most they'd do is an adjustment of the irrigation water head.

I'd like to learn so I get better. Is there something about the way they cut in that photo that was sloppy? Should they not have removed those dead branches?

41 minutes ago, PixelsaurusRex said:

I'd like to learn so I get better. Is there something about the way they cut in that photo that was sloppy? Should they not have removed those dead branches?

I think one of the hardest things about planting new trees and new gardeners (not saying you are new to gardening. just a general comment)….is the need for “the perfect” looking trees.  Everyone wants this but unfortunately this is a bit of a long game. It takes time and will power not to over prune and trim trees. The thought of letting dead fronds fall off instead of helping them or trimming almost dead growth is a difficult thing but it has to happen. There is zero need to cut branches off unless there is zero green to include the boot.…zero. 

Regarding your trees, like @enigma99 stated, it looks like 2 of the 3 are done. The one is obviously sunken in while the other is chopped.  Just cut those at the base, and continue to water the single. Or even easier….start over. Arch’s are cheap. You may have better luck in the long run replacing. 

-dale 

• Like 2