• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Central Florida question

Sandy Loam

This is a question for the Central Floridians in this group. Has anyone here seen veitchia arecina looking great and growing successfully to full size in Orlando or Tampa?  I see them literally everywhere down in South florida, but not up in central Florida. Thanks!

Not from central florida but here's something I found (a Veitchia Arecina group in orlando)

I’m over on the East Coast in Central Fl and there are several tall healthy ones around here. Cape Canaveral planted a bunch in the medians and some of those don’t look great but that may be due to lack of attention. 

• Upvote 1

We have a couple here at Leu Gardens that are over 40ft tall and fruiting. One was planted in the late 90s and other early 200s. Both were planted under tree canopy but are now pushing out. We also have several younger specimens.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I remember seeing a few growing around frequented areas of Tampa.. Mainly near Downtown, closer to Tampa bay though.  More common sight across the Bay in Clearwater / St. Pete.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for these examples.  How do those veitchias look after those ultra cold nights which hit Central Florida once every 5-7 years?... Terrible?  Mildly bronzed?  Did they take a whole season to go back to looking normal again?  On typical average years, do they generally look "normal" all winter?  Thanks all. 

The threads below were originally compiled and posted on @Jimbean's Climate and Ecology of East Central Florida thread.  They are certainly applicable here.  Since the Tigertown thread was created more recently, I added it to this list.  A subset of this list was also posted on the What can be grown in Polk County? thread.  The easiest way to find Veitchia arecina in Tampa and Orlando is to click the links in bold below and do a thread search for Veitchia.  These threads garner a high level of participation and everyone loves sharing their finds.

Central Florida metro areas:

Orlando area:

Sanford (in addition to posts in the Orlando area thread):

Tampa area:

St. Petersburg (in addition to posts in the Tampa area thread):

Lakeland (in addition to posts in the Tampa area thread):

Winter Haven (in addition to posts in the Tampa area thread):

Bartow (in addition to posts in the Tampa area thread):

Lake Wales (in addition to posts in the Tampa area thread):

Daytona Beach:

Jacksonville:

Others with less overall freeze testing:

As far as how Veitchia arecina look after a hard winter, the ones in Winter Haven near Lake Hamilton went down to two fronds and a spear after 2010, but came back to become naturalizing adults.  They seem much more prone to frost damage than chill damage, so having canopy when they are young does help.  The images below are from my yard here in Lakeland and were originally posted on the January 2022 Florida Freeze Report thread.

This has some overhead cover and has minimal to no damage:

20220201_164600_Veitchia_arecina_02_1200.jpg

This image shows what happens if you get frost and have no overhead cover.  You can see the other leaves that have barely anything over top of them are fine:

20220201_164539_Veitchia_arecina_01_1200.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Definitely check out Leu Gardens for good examples of successful Veitchia specimens. It may have actually been these specimens at Leu that got me hooked on palms a few years back! @Eric in Orlando 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Sandy Loam said:

This is a question for the Central Floridians in this group. Has anyone here seen veitchia arecina looking great and growing successfully to full size in Orlando or Tampa?  I see them literally everywhere down in South florida, but not up in central Florida. Thanks!

I've seen a few in Merritt Island, and they are planted occasionally in the Melbourne/Palm Bay area.  They all look great, some tower above people's houses or look nice up against buildings in downtown Melbourne.  I don't know how they fared in 2010, but if their cold hardiness compares to other crown-shaft palms then my observations on sheet two and Kinzyjr's observations on sheet one in the attachment I think can be of some indication.   

202111060000_Jimbean_ZoneMapProjectReport(5).xlsx

• Like 3

Brevard County, Fl

Based on what I’ve seen, they really don’t do well away from the coast in Central Florida unless they’re sited extraordinarily favorably like the ones in Leu Gardens. There were 6 growing at a home in Leto (non-coastal area of Tampa) that all survived the 2010 freezes, but they grew above the roofline and I think 3/6 died in the 2018 freeze. I think this is more or less what you can expect from them in Central Florida unless you’re in coastal Pinellas, Brevard, or Hillsborough counties.

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Based on what I’ve seen, they really don’t do well away from the coast in Central Florida unless they’re sited extraordinarily favorably like the ones in Leu Gardens. There were 6 growing at a home in Leto (non-coastal area of Tampa) that all survived the 2010 freezes, but they grew above the roofline and I think 3/6 died in the 2018 freeze. I think this is more or less what you can expect from them in Central Florida unless you’re in coastal Pinellas, Brevard, or Hillsborough counties.

Here are the Veitchia I mentioned in Leto:

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.0101051,-82.521053,3a,75y,8.06h,97.36t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s6q6xgWV78DwHL3CxX8YgDg!2e0!5s20150901T000000!7i13312!8i6656

Turns out that 4/6 died.

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Upvote 1

Here is the oldest Veitchia arecina at Leu, planted in 2000 (not late 90s as I previously stated). It has fruited in the last couple of years but I never got any seed to germinated. I noticed some seedlings under the palm now. This was acquired under the old name, Veitchia mcdanielsii. 

vei1a (1).jpg

vei1b (1).jpg

vei1c (1).jpg

• Like 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Here is a couple more. The triple trunk specimen was planted in 2007, from a 5 gal., triple trunk specimen found at a box store. The grouping of 3 were planted in 2019. They re growing in a previously shaded location where 2 large trees just came down in Hurricane Ian. 

vei2 (1).jpg

vei3 (1).jpg

• Like 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a