• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Overnight Rain Bands in Florida from the Atlantic

Jimbean

Every so often I'll wake up to this around the middle of the night.  I check the radar, and it's always from about Cape Canaveral southward, isolated rain bands that bring the occasional downpour.  Why does this only appear from Cape Canaveral and southward? 

Untitled 2.png

• Like 1

Brevard County, Fl

We occasionally get that in Tampa too. It may be a function of warmer waters from the Gulf of Mexico or the Gulf Stream in your case.

I don’t recall ever getting those tropical showers when I lived in Volusia County and it’s probably because the water just isn’t as warm there.

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, NOT A TA said:

Gulf stream evaporating then condensing because of the cooler air over the land area.

I was thinking of something similar.  I thought the moisture was condensing from slightly cooler waters just to the west of the stream. 

25 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

We occasionally get that in Tampa too. It may be a function of warmer waters from the Gulf of Mexico or the Gulf Stream in your case.

I don’t recall ever getting those tropical showers when I lived in Volusia County and it’s probably because the water just isn’t as warm there.

I believe you are correct.  Every time I look at the doppler radar during these events, I've never seen the rain in Volusia county.  The Gulf Steam veers out more to the east

SatFish_EastCentralFlorida_SST.jpg.webp

SatFish_Florida_OceanCurrents.jpg.webp

• Like 3

Brevard County, Fl

Great shot of the Stream. Is that from Weather Underground or another source? I would love to know how to access that site! Thank you in advance.

What you look for is what is looking

4 hours ago, bubba said:

Great shot of the Stream. Is that from Weather Underground or another source? I would love to know how to access that site! Thank you in advance.

I did a reverse image search from the pictures that I posted, and did not find the original source, however I got these maps from

https://www.satfish.com/regions/florida-fishing-maps/

Was the only source I could find after doing a five minute search that updates on a regular basis. 

https://ocean.weather.gov/gulf_stream.php

• Like 1

Brevard County, Fl

Thank you for the sites! The numerical guide shows the latest eastern Gulfstream Wall to be 80.0 at 26.6N and 80.0 at 26.8N. I assume the wall would be the same at 26.7.

Palm Beach Shores, Florida is the furthest eastern point in the state of Florida at 80.035 longitude. That is the north side of the Palm Beach Inlet separating the north end of Palm Beach. You can virtually touch the stream!

What you look for is what is looking

• 2 weeks later...

I checked it again, and this time the rain bands extended all the way up to North Carolina.  I was surprised. 

Untitled.png

• Like 3

Brevard County, Fl