• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What's your favorite Syagrus

redant

Based on someone else's comment in another thread, I believe Armara is the nicest Syagrus there is. Seems super rare, I have 2, this ones not mine but an excellent picture of a beauty. So what's your favorite?

cfdc44ad10f5084617556689ff13cdc4.jpg

• Like 8

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

I’m with you @redantAmara is my favorite.    For me its not because it looks like a Coconut but its something about the coloring and upright fronds. The dark green leaflets in combination with the light tan fibrous leaf bases.

I picked up 6 seedlings from Floribunda earlier this year. Heres the one I put in the ground and the one at Kopsick that made me want yo get some. 

A1CBAED4-D5BC-4065-96AB-AFFDF6EB9AD6.jpeg

1CC440DB-7D91-461B-BD6D-D65F45C6CB72.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Syagrus Amara looks a lot like an Allagoptera Caudescens, any idea on how hardy it is...or if it is susceptible to Fusarium?  If it'll survive yearly upper 20s frosts then I should try that one here!

I added pics of two of my favorite Syagruses (amara and ruschiana). But I goofed and put them under the topic of the weepy onilahensis. So go there if you are interested in the pictures.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

pseudococos and ruschiana

• Like 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Syagruses amara but after 22 years it's so far "up" there can't see much of it's beauty.

593360162_Syagrusamara-20200516_140308.thumb.jpg.92c0e34cf2f378c93670dcf0561e2724.jpg

1105077084_Syagrusamara-20200516_140322.thumb.jpg.0305cb3ce3eda2dcba870496a1140bc4.jpg

My new favorite is Syagrus botryophora mainly since it's still small enough to see it face to face.  LOL  It's 2 years old from 1 gallon pot from FB.

709027356_Syagrusbotryophora-20220618_092416-Copy-Copy.thumb.jpg.e832571cd8b876b68de8c531eadb9b9c.jpg

644313457_Syagrusbotryophora-20220618_092429.thumb.jpg.da0b4b943bb36a04c32d079e4c1d02ac.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

I also think S. amara is the nicest, in near tropical conditions.  In my area, they rank as "fair".  In the right conditions, botryophora is also amazing.  Mine keeps getting taller, but it's crown always looks a bit anemic; not sure why. Psuedococos has an amazing trunk for what it's worth.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

I have both S. amara and psudococos, and like Steve’s, have grown tall and are neck breakers. I had a S. botryophora that grew like rocket, but blew over during a tropical storm. I had heard they were susceptible to being taken out by strong winds…..I am a believer. I don’t miss it.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

20 hours ago, realarch said:

I have both S. amara and psudococos, and like Steve’s, have grown tall and are neck breakers. I had a S. botryophora that grew like rocket, but blew over during a tropical storm. I had heard they were susceptible to being taken out by strong winds…..I am a believer. I don’t miss it.

Tim

I have 2 botryophora, you need binoculars to see the crowns lol. I liked them a lot before they took off like a rocket, now most can only see a trunk .

Jupiter FL

On 10/31/2022 at 1:43 PM, Merlyn said:

Syagrus Amara looks a lot like an Allagoptera Caudescens, any idea on how hardy it is...or if it is susceptible to Fusarium?  If it'll survive yearly upper 20s frosts then I should try that one here!

Don't really know there ultimate low but mine where in the ground in 09/10 that killed most of my coconuts, the Amara never flinched.

• Like 1

Jupiter FL

2 hours ago, redant said:

Don't really know there ultimate low but mine where in the ground in 09/10 that killed most of my coconuts, the Amara never flinched.

I probably should have checked Kinzyjr's spreadsheet.  :D  It looks like heavy damage or death around 25F or below, and moderate damage in the upper 20s.  One took around 50% burn during the 2009-2010 cold event at Leu Gardens, which is a lot better than many tropicals.  It's probably safe around my house, but not a 9a area.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Currently my Syagrus campylospatha, grown from seed purchased from RPS in February 2016.  Mine are a little behind Rich's, as his are clustering and flowering already.  Top of this leaf is chest high.

Have a few other varieties that are still in strap leafs so this may change 😆

20221102_173214.thumb.jpg.bfc78e75864874eaf8ad85139eb90183.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, waykoolplantz said:

Syagrus Cearensis   amazing clumping syagrus

BC153D73-F1B6-4E26-B30F-9CBFC97F1878.jpeg

Nice!  I have about half a dozen 3 strap seedlings of this one growing.

Well, gol-dang, that question depends on which one I'm looking at, especially now that the genus has expanded to include Allogoptera and Lytocaryum among others.

ALL of them have their virtues and limitations, and I love them all . . . .

Amara for the reasons noted above.

Botryophyra, if you can keep it happy, it grows SUPER FAST.

Coronata, especially that nice silvery variety.

Ruschiana, multiple graceful trunks, kinda like a Queen, a Howea and a golden cane all had a threesome . . . .

Sancona, the Columbian Foxtail, Juan Valdez would love it

Oleracea, very tough and very nice.

Picrophyla, so obscenely green it's probably illegal by now.

And on and on and on.

Most of these don't take hurricanes well, except for amara. But we don't get hurricanes here in the Land O'La La.

• Like 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.