• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

World USDA Hardiness Zone Map

Jimbean

Thanks, this will be good to reference in the future.

It looks like this differs some from the US USDA map. I’m curious why that is given the same agency is producing both.

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting. Really puts into perspective how frigid much of the US is compared to most of the other inhabited places on earth. 

One area that seems surprisingly warm is Patagonia but hard to see all of the detail. Overall it seems more or less accurate.

An ok reference for the average person,  Greatly lacking in detail for others..

Take Mexico for example..

1012653401_Screenshot2022-11-16at12-01-50MexicoInteractivePlantHardinessZoneMap.png.ee136166e95e65ade2c77b9349aa951c.png

In a nutshell, Micro climates... The more maps that incorporate them, ...to the finest detail possible, the better. 

Still haven't been able to find where the above suggested 14a is located though when looking over the map, lol.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Foxpalms said:

Its a general idea but not detailed enough. Doesn't show the zone 10a and b parts of the UK. 

I wonder what zone winter London will have this year? I don’t think St James Park has gone below 6C / 43F yet so far. No doubt at street level in protected spots it probably hasn’t gone below 7C / 45F yet. That’s similar to Los Angeles for ultimate minimums so far this autumn/fall. London City airport by the Thames had ultimate lows of 35F and 34F in 2019 and 2020. I think last year the minimum was 32F. During the infamous December 2010 freeze, which was one of the worst ever, it only went down to 24F.

Edited by UK_Palms
  • Like 1

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

1 hour ago, UK_Palms said:

I wonder what zone winter London will have this year? I don’t think St James Park has gone below 6C / 43F yet so far. No doubt at street level in protected spots it probably hasn’t gone below 7C / 45F yet. That’s similar to Los Angeles for ultimate minimums so far this autumn/fall. London City airport by the Thames had ultimate lows of 35F and 34F in 2019 and 2020. I think last year the minimum was 32F. During the infamous December 2010 freeze, which was one of the worst ever, it only went down to 24F.

Covent garden was just above freezing last winter at 32.2f/0.1c and the one in the gardens behind st Paul's cathedral only got down to 34f/1.1c last winter. The coldest it has gotten there this fall/autumn is 46f/7.7c and I'm sure there are some other places in London that will be even warmer. Canary wharf is probably a 10a it is extremely dense with skyscrapers and it's surrounded by water. The new weather station just east of Bank will also be interesting to see what I gets down too.  I think this winter at the very least will be on the high end of 9b and probably 10a, since northern Europe is way above average to it pretty much impossible to get a winter as cold as 2010 at least from now- Jan and even though there can be cold blasts in February the sun is stronger then so it makes them less severe. Also if you want a more accurate forecast for Londons lows (the highs are usually off though) use BBC weather's forecast for Chelsea London for some reason it seems to be more accurate/shows higher lows. The forecast does look too bad for the rest of November and because of the Jetstream forecast from the 24th it will probably be higher than the BBC forecast is suggesting during the day.

Screenshot_20221117-115734442 (1).jpg

Edited by Foxpalms
  • Like 1

St Agnes on the Scilly isles last winter experienced a zone 11a winter, since it didn't go below 40f. I think the other islands were a 10b barely almost 11a but the wunderground stations on the other islands are inland slightly. I wouldn't be surprised if Hugh town also experienced an 11a winter this year since its surrounded by water on both sides and has a slight urban heat island.  I was reading on London needing more greenery to cool it down as the summers get hotter but what would be a better idea is to turn those huge parks into massive lakes of course there still needs to be some parks though, this way it will keep London warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.

Edited by Foxpalms

@Foxpalms I’m pretty sure Ventnor on the Isle of Wight is 10b/11a most winters these days. Most winters don’t go below 35-40F there along the coast. They’ve got some Rhopalostylis growing and Chambeyronia in private gardens. I wonder if that huge Washingtonia stand (biggest in UK) have flowered this year?

Close to 2,000 sunshine hours a year too on Isle of Wight, which hugely edges out places like London. Some parts of the southeast coast can clock up 2,200+ sunshine hours, which puts a dent in the dull, gloomy perception many people have. Selsey had close to 2,300 hours of sunshine in 2020.

Summers are dry, sunny and warm, especially with this Med transition going on. Rainfall stats this year back up the trend I have been talking about on here in recent years. Most of the southeast is probably going to be a full-on Med climate by 2030. Get the Queens and Bismarck’s ready.

Edited by UK_Palms
  • Like 1

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

1 hour ago, UK_Palms said:

@Foxpalms I’m pretty sure Ventnor on the Isle of Wight is 10b/11a most winters these days. Most winters don’t go below 35-40F there along the coast. They’ve got some Rhopalostylis growing and Chambeyronia in private gardens. I wonder if that huge Washingtonia stand (biggest in UK) have flowered this year?

Close to 2,000 sunshine hours a year too on Isle of Wight, which hugely edges out places like London. Some parts of the southeast coast can clock up 2,200+ sunshine hours, which puts a dent in the dull, gloomy perception many people have. Selsey had close to 2,300 hours of sunshine in 2020.

Summers are dry, sunny and warm, especially with this Med transition going on. Rainfall stats this year back up the trend I have been talking about on here in recent years. Most of the southeast is probably going to be a full-on Med climate by 2030. Get the Queens and Bismarck’s ready.

What I'm more interested in is the temperature difference in winter. Central London is predicted to be as hot as Barcelona in 2050 but I don't see how the winter temperatures can increase to an average high of 15c and low of 9c. The south east will probably be csb and London csa. I wonder which year the council's will finally start planting Washingtonia in London my prediction is 2026 if the next few winters and summers are warm. Im presuming the sunshine hours will also go up in the summer in London as well which would be nice. Given how long they days are really we should be having over 300 hours of sunshine for June. dypsis decaryi now Chrysalidocarpus I think would also be a nice palm to try. The summers by 2050 are supposed to be 29c as a high doesn't say what the low would be, with heat waves in the mid to high 40s Celsius.  The metoffice have said 2023-2026 will the warmest 4 years on record so hopefully that is true for the UK. If it never snowed in London again I wouldn't complain!

Edited by Foxpalms