• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

ouch

DTS

1 minute ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

Sabal?  Too cold I suppose.

the cold was a part of why this happened. it never did good since i planted it

My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@dts_3
Palms in Ground Currently: Rhapidophyllum Hystrix (x1), Butia Odorata (x1), Sabal Causiarum (x2), Sabal Louisiana (x1).

really rare for these to spear pull

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

1 minute ago, DTS1 said:

yeah

I don't know what temperatures it has seen but it might come back. On the picture the spear pull looks guite deep though... The good thing is that the growth point seems to be well protected. If you want to save it and if the temperatures are alright you might get the growth point clear of any soil or mulching and treat it with something like hydrogen peroxide. And I would try to keep it dry.

3 hours ago, Hortulanus said:

I don't know what temperatures it has seen but it might come back. On the picture the spear pull looks guite deep though... The good thing is that the growth point seems to be well protected. If you want to save it and if the temperatures are alright you might get the growth point clear of any soil or mulching and treat it with something like hydrogen peroxide. And I would try to keep it dry.

yeah i will, im pretty sure it spear pulled because it was in shock, and never grew the whole year, i was expecting that to happen to my needle but it took off and is perfectly fine

My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@dts_3
Palms in Ground Currently: Rhapidophyllum Hystrix (x1), Butia Odorata (x1), Sabal Causiarum (x2), Sabal Louisiana (x1).

12 minutes ago, DTS1 said:

yeah i will, im pretty sure it spear pulled because it was in shock, and never grew the whole year, i was expecting that to happen to my needle but it took off and is perfectly fine

I also lost a Sabal x brazzoriensis once to what I think could only have been transplanting stress. It didn't grew and randomly declined over a several months time period. But that didn't come from frost. Sabal minors are supposed to be very though so I bet there is at least a bit of a chance...

Not sure but wet crown cover may be adding to the problem…try exposing the crown so it can dry out a bit and weave some black landscaper’s cloth around the palm…this cloth repels water and drags in every ounce of warmth from the sun…a fungicide down the hole will help too…tough climate up there…

• Like 1