• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is my palm doing well it’s first winter?

ChicagoPalma

It looks like my palm tree has a Borax deficiency but I don’t really know. One of the open spears pushing  that is brown at the base and petiole didn’t pull out, so no spear pull, and the temperature in the box is usually from 34 to 48 Fahrenheit in there. 

2D4250F8-D898-4414-A80A-E9732D93B12F.jpeg

5F7F0F58-CF92-4F9B-9FC0-EEBADFCA911D.jpeg

3B27E545-1CAF-4BC7-A619-0A5A4D101792.jpeg

4474298F-9D75-46EB-AADA-C69B28B95D15.jpeg

CA00B92A-7B24-4EE6-9E7A-E869B223EA0B.jpeg

0D6C3CD5-7C5B-4F97-AA04-701F9D23465C.jpeg

• Like 2

That's from cold stress.  If it makes it through it will likely have a frond or two that has some cosmetic damage, but after that they'll probably be nice and green.

I think you've done everything you could to keep it alive. It definitely doesn't like the winter over there but from my observation it looks OK. Wait a few more weeks , pull the spear and go from there.  In spring you will see if it makes it through the winter.  How cold did it get and what's your CHZ ? 

Edited by MarcusH

We have had days in the single digit negative temperature and the palm may have had temps in the 20 f. Also we got temps in the 50s over the weekend so that’s why.

• Upvote 1

Looks like the dark spots on the trunk might be where you had the lights on it and burned it?  Did you have lights touching the area circled?  Either way the spear area got either too cold or too hot. The spear and fried fronds may pull eventually.  You will need to treat with copper fungicide

4474298F-9D75-46EB-AADA-C69B28B95D15.thumb.jpeg.4953e869e97946bb5615fe477c826636.jpg

Edited by Allen

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

We have right now a windy night with rain staying on the high forty’s. So I let the palm sit out during the night to soak in all that water while the ground is still thawed before the next freeze.

17 minutes ago, ChicagoPalma said:

Did you have the C9 lights touching those spots on the trunk when you had it protected?  If so that is the problem

Edited by Allen

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

7 minutes ago, ChicagoPalma said:

Yes, lets continue the conversation tomorrow.

Everyone on here makes mistakes so don't feel bad.  This is like the 6th time this year I've seen this.  Next year do a foamboard box and you can use the same lights on a thermocube hanging in the box but not touching the palm but you only need about 10 bulbs going if you have a fully insulated box.

Edited by Allen
  • Like 1

What I did was I got a plastic wrapped box, I put burlap over the palm tree, then I wrapped it in many c9 lights. It worked very well until I put the lights on first then the burlap, which caused all these problems I think.

We used a thermocube, so it only turned on during really cold days such as when it drops below 30 during the night, and during the day when it drops below 20 farenheit (because the sunlight hitting the box creates warmer temps in the box during the day if above 20 f) So it's warmer in the box then outside most of the time. The box was insulated, so no air blew in there or anything. But could I ask since Im hoping to plant a mule palm and mexican fan palm in the frontyard, how does it do during the winter.

Edited by ChicagoPalma

I think I may have fried the whole palm I had 40 lights in there. Most were on the ground heating the soil, but the rest were wrapped around the palm tree, touching it. That's why I think some fronds look sort of look not the best. I'm sort of saying it in a joking manner but I did have 40 lights. 

Years back I had a 120V cable with thermostatic control. You can use something like this. Do a search.

Amazon -- > Frost King self regulating thermostat.

4 hours ago, ChicagoPalma said:

We used a thermocube, so it only turned on during really cold days such as when it drops below 30 during the night, and during the day when it drops below 20 farenheit (because the sunlight hitting the box creates warmer temps in the box during the day if above 20 f) So it's warmer in the box then outside most of the time. The box was insulated, so no air blew in there or anything. But could I ask since Im hoping to plant a mule palm and mexican fan palm in the frontyard, how does it do during the winter.

If you want information about how to winterize a Mexican fan palm look up James Palms on YouTube.  He's obsessed with Mexican fan palms but his knowledge is incredible he also lives in Ontario Canada and like Allen said before we all made/make mistakes.  I started this hobby about a year ago and I've learned a lot thanks to all of the great people in this forum and I still ask questions.  It's not just putting a palm in the ground and that's it.  For zone pushers like us you will keep an eye on weather a lot more.  One more thing what I've learned PLEASE sanitize your pruning tools each time you use it just to prevent the palm from pest/fungus contamination. Even experienced members in this forum ended up killing their favorite palm tree.