• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Aechmea 'Bert' hybrid bromeliad hardiness

Rivera

I have an aechmea 'Bert' (a. orlandiana x a. forsteriana) F2 hybrid.

Supposedly it's a relatively hardy bromeliad, but if anyone wants to weigh in with their own experience, it would be much appreciated. Observations about the a. orlandiana x a. forsteriana F1 or F2 hybrid are welcome, as are hardiness and 'cool tolerant' observations concerning either of the two parent plants. 

I'm in cool humid San Francisco, generally mild but with a few chilly nights here and there in the winter. This plant will be accordingly placed in a modestly protected or well protected outdoor spot, depending. I (or more accurately, Bert) will be the guinea pig if need be.

Much thanks in advance for any opinions,

🤙Chris

PXL_20230224_213052024.jpg

Chris

San Francisco, CA 

1 hour ago, Rivera said:

I have an aechmea 'Bert' (a. orlandiana x a. forsteriana) F2 hybrid.

Supposedly it's a relatively hardy bromeliad, but if anyone wants to weigh in with their own experience, it would be much appreciated. Observations about the a. orlandiana x a. forsteriana F1 or F2 hybrid are welcome, as are hardiness and 'cool tolerant' observations concerning either of the two parent plants. 

I'm in cool humid San Francisco, generally mild but with a few chilly nights here and there in the winter. This plant will be accordingly placed in a modestly protected or well protected outdoor spot, depending. I (or more accurately, Bert) will be the guinea pig if need be.

Much thanks in advance for any opinions,

🤙Chris

PXL_20230224_213052024.jpg

Since S.F. rarely - if ever- drops below 32F you should be fine where you're located..  X Bert, and both species involved in the cross can apparently tolerate several hours of cold somewhere in the mid / upper 20sF. Hard to tell from the PDF which lists their hardiness whether or not that deg. of cold tolerance is connected to how dry they stay while cool or not.. Regardless, this is one of the tougher Aechmea overall.

On the other hand, while spectacular,  Racinaea dyeriana, formally included in Tillandsia, is a wimp when it comes to cold.. One night barely below freezing was enough to fry it ..even though i'd had it sheltered from excess moisture / cold winds under my patio during that cold spell when i lived in Clearwater.

We used to have a CA. Bromeliad guru on the board, but, for whatever reason he hasn't posted here in years. Nursery he was working for ( ...assuming he's still there ) in San Diego is a great source for plants, inc. some crosses he has done.

• Like 1