• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pinanga maculata

realarch

These palms have matured into nice looking specimens since planting back in 2009 & 2010. Being in full sun, they burned for many years, but now have seemed to adapted to their exposure. Inexplicably, I’ve never gotten viable seed off of either of them.

They are rather elegant mid sized Pinanga. 

Tim

2A777629-E955-42CB-9C93-EC307FE1C01D.jpeg

EB839C61-C62B-478C-8F6E-FED8822B0FB5.jpeg

552A9567-6067-4F52-B111-7E952AF2BF38.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Those are fabulous, Tim. I think I have one maculata seedling that survived Ian and winter. I can only dream it will look like yours.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thank you Meg! I will definitely send positive maculata vibes your way.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

9 hours ago, realarch said:

These palms have matured into nice looking specimens since planting back in 2009 & 2010. Being in full sun, they burned for many years, but now have seemed to adapted to their exposure. Inexplicably, I’ve never gotten viable seed off of either of them.

They are rather elegant mid sized Pinanga. 

Tim

2A777629-E955-42CB-9C93-EC307FE1C01D.jpeg

EB839C61-C62B-478C-8F6E-FED8822B0FB5.jpeg

552A9567-6067-4F52-B111-7E952AF2BF38.jpeg

"STUNNERS" Tim. 🤩🤩💜💜

Nice contrast on this species between the deep dark green leaflets and that colorful swollen crownshaft.  A very attractive palm Tim.  Hopefully Brad's performs as well in the coming years down in HPP for him as yours have.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Gorgeous. Very nice.

I don't agree with Palmpedia, calling it z10a. Likely z11a considering the once-a-decade drop to 35°.

Did yours carry the red colouration when small?

There are really good growers for me. I have been told many times that they need to be planted in groups to ensure seed so I had to add one in at a later time but even when planted in multiple they still produce few seed. Such a colorful palm

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SeanK said:

Gorgeous. Very nice.

I don't agree with Palmpedia, calling it z10a. Likely z11a considering the once-a-decade drop to 35°.

Did yours carry the red colouration when small?

Sean, they have always been colorful.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Several years ago, I started looking at some potted palms in my shade house. I had grouped together some that had grown woody stems several feet high with tiny crowns of leaves not more than 3 or 4 inches long. One had a still readable label that said Pinanga maculata. Another one with an unreadable label looked similar. I had recently heard from someone that this was a very attractive species, so I found a place to plant them out (May 2020). That was what they needed, as evidenced in the pic below. They are in scattered light with some tall palms around them, but no other shade.

1515018118_Pinangamaculata_pair_MLM_031123.thumb.JPG.4fcb43a49c0026afa7bed6655a08b872.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.