• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

AZ_Palm_Guy

So I recently purchased a few date palms and they were field dug from a large palm farm. All of the rootballs were excellent sized and treated carefully when removing and planting. I have noticed a difference in a few of the palms. For example one of palms transplanted has remained green for the last 2 months with little to no issues while the other one has started to slightly yellow (pups have also begin to regrow on it) after I watered it this past weekend since temps have begun to climb in AZ.  Both have had the same water schedule and are both planted in clay type soil. 

After reading transplanting palms in the landscape by Timothy K. Broschat he did mention this "Transplanted field-grown palms have also been shown to benefit from light fertilization with an 8-2-12-4Mg controlled-release fertilizer at planting even though they have lost the majority of their root systems." My main question would be should I add a small amount of fertilizer to the palm that has begin to yellow to help with the discoloration? Or just leave it as is? I understand that field dug palms will tend to look bad before they look good since they just have been removed from the ground. I am not too worried at the moment but maybe us palm people tend to get in our own heads when things start to show slight change.

Any feedback and or suggestions are welcomed. Pics attached below of the palm in question. You can start to see the color change. Difference between the pics is 2 months.20230318_121238.thumb.jpg.d623af1539d30f081974fc680395e160.jpg

20230318_121311.jpg

20230403_195316.jpg

20230403_195452.jpg