• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Kentia Palm condition worsening.. need help determining what to do :(

PatPalm

Hello Palm talk. New here.

my leaves started to turn dark green recently and can’t figure out why. There is some spotting as well. Lowest leaf is fried. Second has dried over the past week and developed spots. Second leaf looks great but is developing some creeping dried looking dark greens. Newest leaf developed and is looking great. See pictures 

Care details 

Its by South facing window and supplementary led light from 1-5PM. 50-65 humidity, temperatures range 76-82F.

Moisture meter measuring low medium moisture in pot. I’ve been watering once a week when dry, from the top, letting it drain into a saucer. I’m scared of overwatering since I’ve lost a lot of palms that way.

I brought this home on feb 18 from a local nursery in florid 

What could it be? I really want this to work 

IMG_1101.jpeg

IMG_1102.jpeg

IMG_1103.jpeg

IMG_1104.jpeg

IMG_1105.jpeg

IMG_1106.jpeg

It looks like it gets WAY too much water. Pull it inspect the roots, If they are mouldy and stink, root surgery and hope for the best

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Palmlover_78 said:

It looks like it gets WAY too much water. Pull it inspect the roots, If they are mouldy and stink, root surgery and hope for the best

Oh :( but the moisture meter says it’s virtually zero and touching it is bone dry. I don’t know how else to confirm it’s getting enough water 

Edited by PatPalm

It might be under watered as well. if a palm tree is under watered, its leaves may start to turn brown and dry, and the plant may appear to be wilted even though the soil is dry. Is the brown frond moist and limp? if the frond is crispy then most likely it is under watered.

10 hours ago, Palmlover_78 said:

It might be under watered as well. if a palm tree is under watered, its leaves may start to turn brown and dry, and the plant may appear to be wilted even though the soil is dry. Is the brown frond moist and limp? if the frond is crispy then most likely it is under watered.

The tips are very crispy. I’m very scared of over watering.. what’s the best way to water these guys to confirm? Do I measure th amount and pour around the rim, do I tub soak?

The general rule of thumb to watering palms is water until you get lots of water coming out the bottom of the pot. For every gallon the size of pot is , that is how many gallons of water you should put through it. I only tub soak my palms when I bring them in from out doors to drown certain soil bugs. The best way to tell is take a handful of soil and very gently squeeze it. If the soil stays into a ball then it is fine. Do the same thing again in a week or so later and squeeze very hard. The soil when dry will crumble and not hold the ball form. Time to water. If your soil has excellent drainage, and the pot is not sitting in water, you're good. It is almost impossible to over water a palm tree that has VERY good soil drainage, and is not sitting in a saucer of water.

17 minutes ago, Palmlover_78 said:

The general rule of thumb to watering palms is water until you get lots of water coming out the bottom of the pot. For every gallon the size of pot is , that is how many gallons of water you should put through it. I only tub soak my palms when I bring them in from out doors to drown certain soil bugs. The best way to tell is take a handful of soil and very gently squeeze it. If the soil stays into a ball then it is fine. Do the same thing again in a week or so later and squeeze very hard. The soil when dry will crumble and not hold the ball form. Time to water. If your soil has excellent drainage, and the pot is not sitting in water, you're good. It is almost impossible to over water a palm tree that has VERY good soil drainage, and is not sitting in a saucer of water.

Thank you very much! I went ahead and lifted the pot from the saucer but placing them over rocks.

I love you too on testing the soil! It’s definitely not holding together when balled. 

i think this is my answer! Under watered! 

44 minutes ago, PatPalm said:

Thank you very much! I went ahead and lifted the pot from the saucer but placing them over rocks.

I love you too on testing the soil! It’s definitely not holding together when balled. 

i think this is my answer! Under watered! 

You're Welcome ☺️