• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubaea Chilensis | How soon should I introduce fertilizer

Enar

I have this tiny Jubaea Chilensis seedling. How soon should I repot it in a more fertile potting mix or supply fertilizer in the existing pot? It’s in a solo cup right now with not super fertile soil. Just basic starter soil mix with perlite and peat and topsoil. 

F27B4EAD-5F13-49F0-B66A-65D182707C91.jpeg

Lowest seen: 16F, Highest seen: 105F. Heavy red clay (iron oxide). Amended to 6.5-7PH using Dolomitic lime.

20 minutes ago, Enar said:

I have this tiny Jubaea Chilensis seedling. How soon should I repot it in a more fertile potting mix or supply fertilizer in the existing pot? It’s in a solo cup right now with not super fertile soil. Just basic starter soil mix with perlite and peat and topsoil. 

F27B4EAD-5F13-49F0-B66A-65D182707C91.jpeg

Wow, you aren't kidding about it being tiny!  :) Seedlings get all the nutrition they need initially from the seed which is pretty large for Jubaea.  When to start feeding probably varies depending on the species but I've never given seedlings anything more than fish emulsion until they are more than a year old.  Maybe others can share what they do.  Same with the pot size - I wouldn't worry about potting up for a couple months.  Just make sure that the medium drains well.

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

Medicine and Engineering both have some good advice.  First do no Harm.  If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

As Fusca said above, give it time to grow a leaf, give it nothing until it is a year old.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Banana Belt said:

Medicine and Engineering both have some good advice.  First do no Harm.  If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

As Fusca said above, give it time to grow a leaf, give it nothing until it is a year old.

I agree with this but I tend to mix nutrient lacking soils so I don’t usually have a lot of option but to introduce fertilizer at a certain stage. Unless there is a good recipe for a starter soil for palms. 

Lowest seen: 16F, Highest seen: 105F. Heavy red clay (iron oxide). Amended to 6.5-7PH using Dolomitic lime.

• 1 year later...

Update on this seedling?

Zone 6b maritime climate

12 minutes ago, Leelanau Palms said:

Update on this seedling?

I have two seedlings inside that are doing well (they love dry air) and one outside that is alive in the ground (it survived 16F with no protection) But I realized these palms need way better drainage than I can provide with my heavy red clay soil. That being said I recommend not using very strong fertilizer on small seedlings like these but it’s also important that they are in an environment that they like. Hot and humid is not it even though they can survive. 

I have a pindo palm that was about to die, but that I managed to save by digging a couple a feet away from the trunk of it and backfilling with gravel to simulate well draining soil. After that worked I also did the same to the jubaea seedling and I’m still waiting to see how it responds. 

I’m also currently experimenting with different types of fertilizer and next I’m going to try Kelp and Alaska fish fertilizer combined (2-2-18) plus (5-1-1) should make (7-3-19) on my bigger palms. Also looking into testing gypsum powder for improving drainage and humic acid to improve the soil in general. 

Could you please share pics?

Zone 6b maritime climate

13 hours ago, Leelanau Palms said:

Could you please share pics?

Below as follows: first two are inside jubaea seedlings, 3rd is outside jubaea seedling that got fertilizer burn or unbalanced fertilizer plus probably cold damage, 4th is the pindo doing well (also has some cold damage) 

IMG_8527.jpeg

IMG_8528.jpeg

IMG_8530.jpeg

IMG_8529.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks for the pics. Love those little Jubaea's! Here's my new Jubaea seedling (indoors only thus far):

20240526_201537.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Zone 6b maritime climate