• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

copernicia cowellii

CQ Mike

Hi,

Does anybody have a particular potting mix for starting off and growing copernicia cowellii. Also what pot size would you suggest. Would it be better planting straight into the ground.

Thankyou,

Michael.

Starting from seed? Extremely easy to sprout using the baggie method. Then you can decide exactly where you want to plant in the ground,or in a pot. I collected a bunch of these seeds on a trip to Cuba,and sold at least 50 plants at 2 to 3 years old in 1 gallon pots. They are fast growers on seed power,but slow way down on their own roots. (seedling pic taken at only 2 months old. In ground plants are 9 years old) These do have EXTREMELY sensitive roots. I've had no luck digging them back out of the ground once planted... Select your planting site carefully. If going to grow in 1 gallon pots,I would pre cut through the bottom of the pots leaving only a few contact points so bottom could be easily removed when time to plant. Then just plant it into the ground, in the pot,with the bottom removed. Potting mix should be free draining,as they can rot during extended cool and wet periods. Mine planted in full sun do yellow up over the winter,but seem to green back up when the heat arrives. Specimens planted in shade stay green year round. Hope that info helps you propagate a few of this rarely seen outside of Cuba species.:greenthumb:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

IMG_20230414_063433745_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230414_064028632_HDR.jpg

20140729_160743.jpg

Edited by aztropic
  • Like 2

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Use very deep pots to accommodate their roots. I kept my one & only in 14” tree pots for years. I planted it about 3-4 months ago and all but one strap leaf died back. Checked on it this morning & looks like it is sending up a new strap leaf. It is in sand and calcareous shell rock.  In Cuba they grow in serpentine soil. I would be very careful not to place it in rich, poor draining soil. I used a mix of coarse bagged garden soil, coco coir and perlite.

• Like 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thankyou everybody for taking time to reply. Has anybody tried to replicate the elements in serpentine soils when considering potting mix.

Waykoolplantz   I am getting a little ahead of myself here asking about potting mix when I don't have a plant. Been on the wish list for a very long time. So I don't have a picture I can post. Hopefully one day soon.

6 hours ago, CQ Mike said:

Thankyou everybody for taking time to reply. Has anybody tried to replicate the elements in serpentine soils when considering potting mix.

Waykoolplantz   I am getting a little ahead of myself here asking about potting mix when I don't have a plant. Been on the wish list for a very long time. So I don't have a picture I can post. Hopefully one day soon.

When I was in Cuba in 2014 I picked up serpentine rocks from a cow pasture where dozens of cowellii were growing. I brought them back to FL and crushed them with a mallet to use when growing plants from serpentine soils. I have the crushed stone somewhere in my garden shed. If you get a cowellii, I can sell you some of my stash if you are interested.

Meg

Florida

Whoops, Mike. I see you are in Australia not the US. I don't think your customs will be happy if I sent Cuban crushed serpentine stone into Australia. I don't want either of us to get in trouble - I have enough trouble getting the US gov't off my back. Sorry

Meg

Florida

Yes Meg, I am in Australia. It is very difficult to come by some of the rarer Cuban palms here let alone factoring in the time you need to see anything other than a strap leaf.

Are they available in your country and how big is the biggest one you have seen outside Cuba.