• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The growth of my Sabal palm.

Palm Tree lover

Hello,

I have a young Sabal palmetto that I grow indoors. I was wondering how many years it will take my palmetto palm to develop a trunk? How long will it take for my palmetto palm to form mature fronds with palmate to costa palmate fronds?

Thanks!

1328097F-0B14-4141-84E6-886C06299969.jpeg

56 minutes ago, Palm Tree lover said:

Hello,

I have a young Sabal palmetto that I grow indoors. I was wondering how many years it will take my palmetto palm to develop a trunk? How long will it take for my palmetto palm to form mature fronds with palmate to costa palmate fronds?

Thanks!

1328097F-0B14-4141-84E6-886C06299969.jpeg

Growing a palmetto indoors will take impossibly forever, If you want it to form a trunk in your lifetime and I'm guessing you live somewhere that gets a lot of heat and sun then I'd get it into the ground as soon as possible. It seems to be already pushing out palmate frond but it will speed up and you will get them quicker outside in the ground

• Like 1

Sabal palmetto wants to be planted in ground but can be maintained and will grow in a pot for a few years. In pots they are slower. The pictures posted by Pal Meir, above, show a size that is about as big as you should keep in a pot before planting in ground.  Not that you can not keep them in a pot it's just that they have a large root system that needs to spread out. They want sun, good soil and heat. They grow slower when young but once in ground and with an established root system, and a trunk starts to form, they speed up a lot.

• Like 1

Sabals are not happy being houseplants. They want full sun and lots of heat, which you have. If you want it to thrive and grow a trunk in your lifetime, plant it outdoors where it can experience all day sun.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

12 hours ago, ZPalms said:

Growing a palmetto indoors will take impossibly forever, If you want it to form a trunk in your lifetime and I'm guessing you live somewhere that gets a lot of heat and sun then I'd get it into the ground as soon as possible. It seems to be already pushing out palmate frond but it will speed up and you will get them quicker outside in the ground

Hi ZPalms,

I live in central New Jersey a zone 6b. The climate isn’t favorable for the palmetto palm to thrive growing outside unless protected. I don’t plan on growing it outside and would like to keep it in a pot for the life of the palm.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Yes, potted Sabal palmetto is a very slow grower. Here in Germany I couldn't plant it outdoors. I gave the palm away in 2008 to an animal park (Weltvogelpark Walsrode).

873030476_Sabalpalmetto2003-08-17.thumb.jpg.5a59aec79036092ea68675b374b61308.jpg

1238591058_Sabalpalmetto2008-06-17.thumb.jpg.686bfbaf4a7b2500975867a474c25ba0.jpg

Hi Pal Meir,

That’s a gorgeous looking Sabal palm! Did you grow that palm from seed? I plan to keep it potted for the lifetime of the palm. I enjoy growing plants and palms in pots. Will it still survive for many years? I live in a cold climate that isn’t suitable for Sabal palmetto to grow outside all year. I may take the palm outdoors in the summer and take the palm back inside by September.

Thanks!

Thank you everyone for your comments and advice! I hope my Sabal palmetto will thrive and grow for many years. I will give an update when I see more growth.

Edited by Palm Tree lover