• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A few palms I lost over the years.

The Palm Nut

Sealing wax, Wallichia disticha (would plant this one again if found for sale) and Betel Nut palm.

post-250-1206511142.jpg

post-250-1227244235.jpg

post-250-1194766775.jpg

• Like 2

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

I’m amazed you grew a lipstick palm at your latitude for any length of time. Wallichia are pretty cold tolerant. Did yours flower and die? You should have grabbed some seed and got some more going. I imagine that you are right on the borderline for Areca catechu. 2 or 3 cold winters in a row would probably end one of them. I had one in my Perth garden survive a couple of winters until one came along just a bit too cold. I’m amazed at what you can grow in your garden there. 

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Hi Tyrone 

The lipstick was a seedling and grew quite fast over the four years, I pulled the plug literally to heating it during winter and of course it died.  The Wallichia grew well and did produce an inflorescent but no seeds. Have you tried this one at your new property?  The Areca catechu never really looked great, winter would knock it around quite a bit, but it kept growing till it got above the roof line and was exposed to the cold winds of winter. It didn't actually die that winter, but it was time for me to cut it down. The old coconut palm was cut down around the same time as it started to look pretty ratty and unsightly as well. 

This is how I kept the Lipstick growing for those years with the picture below, the shelter was actually getting to the point where it was too small to shelter the largest cane.  

post-250-1208642972.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, The Palm Nut said:

Hi Tyrone 

The lipstick was a seedling and grew quite fast over the four years, I pulled the plug literally to heating it during winter and of course it died.  The Wallichia grew well and did produce an inflorescent but no seeds. Have you tried this one at your new property?  The Areca catechu never really looked great, winter would knock it around quite a bit, but it kept growing till it got above the roof line and was exposed to the cold winds of winter. It didn't actually die that winter, but it was time for me to cut it down. The old coconut palm was cut down around the same time as it started to look pretty ratty and unsightly as well. 

This is how I kept the Lipstick growing for those years with the picture below, the shelter was actually getting to the point where it was too small to shelter the largest cane.  

post-250-1208642972.jpg

I do remember you sheltering your lipstick palm now you say it. It’s still amazing that it did so well. The things we do hey. 
I’ve got a couple of potted Wallichias here that need planting. They were from Perth seed. I wouldn’t say they are totally at home in my climate but they are alive. I’ve got to create a new area that will get winter sun and a bit of protection from the cold plus a bit of good drainage for things like the Wallichia, but before I do that I have to drop about 30 or so dead mature pine trees that didn’t like the floods here a couple of years back. 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Seems like betel nut and coconut are roughly equivalent in cold tolerance.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

4 hours ago, Tyrone said:

I do remember you sheltering your lipstick palm now you say it. It’s still amazing that it did so well. The things we do hey. 
I’ve got a couple of potted Wallichias here that need planting. They were from Perth seed. I wouldn’t say they are totally at home in my climate but they are alive. I’ve got to create a new area that will get winter sun and a bit of protection from the cold plus a bit of good drainage for things like the Wallichia, but before I do that I have to drop about 30 or so dead mature pine trees that didn’t like the floods here a couple of years back. 

I have tried so many palms of tropical pedigree over the years some successful but most not. It gets expensive, hate to think how much I have spent over the years. But these are the things we do. 

Dropping 30 pine trees, you have got your work cut out for you.

3 hours ago, philinsydney said:

Seems like betel nut and coconut are roughly equivalent in cold tolerance.

Pretty much so, the growth rate of the Betel nut is slightly faster though. Neither one produced seed.

How are your coconuts in Sydney doing? 

Mine looking really good as we go into winter. 

IMG_20230430_143133.jpg

I haven't tried one. I was only considering knowledge I had gained from PalmTalk. I don't think anyone has grown one successfully here.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Name a palm,  any species, type or variety and I have killed one. Or to be totally honest, probably 2. The money I have squandered could have funded a sports car, fur coat, facelift (okay okay an everything lift) and a month in Manhattan to find a millionaire to marry. What did I get instead ? Eternal poverty, a truckload of expensive experience and a lingering resentment on those who sold me the bloody things saying they would thrive ! Currently I have a malay dwarf coconut,  a betel nut, christmas palms ( Veitchia something or other) and an Areca species with a red crownshaft, all of which survived the longest winter on record and the first frost for about 15 years.  I was a coward with the Licuala Fordiana that was in a pot and brought it inside over winter.

Peachy.

• Like 1

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Thanks for sharing the updates! Sad to see the palms died! I've been following your garden for decades now! 

I'm always up for learning new things!

Have you tried Adonidia in Port Macquarie?

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

On 5/9/2023 at 8:10 AM, philinsydney said:

Have you tried Adonidia in Port Macquarie?

Hi Phil

I have, it was a seedling, one which I brought back from Cairns many years ago. Unfortunately it's one of a long list of palms I've tried and lost. But if you don't try you never know, right!

I don't actively search out palms anymore but if I see something that's worth trying again and I have a place to plant it, this is the hard part, lack of space unfortunately. But plants/palms die occasionally, old age usually these days, and a space might open up.  

Here are some others I lost over the years. Can't find any better pictures of them or likely this is the best they ever looked. 

Phoenicophorium borsigianum

Gronophyllum pinangoides? 

787127849_Nov30thPalm010.thumb.JPG.754d2596a4a3be4c3b06e9977083cdaf.JPG

• Like 1