• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Fusarium Wilt?

Chavy87

Please tell me this isn't Fusarium Wilt! Transplanted on 4/21, bottom two fronds are broken and crispy. The one above those two is doing okay, a little brown at the tips but equal on both sides. The frond shown in the pictures where it is obvious one side is brown and the other is green is what concerns me. The sprear is still healthy and as you can see still growing. (Mark was made one week ago.) i also cut the oldest frond since it was all done, theres a photo of fibers inside the frond. Thanks again.

20230508_114011.jpg

20230508_114147.jpg

20230508_114216.jpg

20230508_114314.jpg

20230508_114230.jpg

20230508_114343.jpg

20230508_114606.jpg

20230508_114630.jpg

Do you have photos of the palm as a whole to go with the partial photos?

I know you are in CA and I am in FL but what I see in your photos appears to be classic fusarium wilt. And I've seen a lot of it over the past 6-7 years. I really hope I am wrong but....

Be aware that wilt attacks not just queens but also mule palms and Washingtonias (lost all mine in less than a year). Once it rears its ugly head it will wipe them out like a bowling ball takes out pins. By the time you notice symptoms it's too late and an affected palm can go from green to dead in 3 weeks. And the dead fronds turn a peculiar shade of brown. Wilt is invariably fatal. Do not replant these species. Cut up the diseased palms and send them for incineration. Clean/disinfect all pruning tools.

Check out the links below:

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/topic/49059-fronds-one-side-necroticother-side-normal-cause-for-concern/#comment-752311

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/topic/51842-my-washingtonia-is-dying/#comment-788122

My deepest condolences

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

18 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Do you have photos of the palm as a whole to go with the partial photos?

I know you are in CA and I am in FL but what I see in your photos appears to be classic fusarium wilt. And I've seen a lot of it over the past 6-7 years. I really hope I am wrong but....

Be aware that wilt attacks not just queens but also mule palms and Washingtonias (lost all mine in less than a year). Once it rears its ugly head it will wipe them out like a bowling ball takes out pins. By the time you notice symptoms it's too late and an affected palm can go from green to dead in 3 weeks. And the dead fronds turn a peculiar shade of brown. Wilt is invariably fatal. Do not replant these species. Cut up the diseased palms and send them for incineration. Clean/disinfect all pruning tools.

Check out the links below:

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/topic/49059-fronds-one-side-necroticother-side-normal-cause-for-concern/#comment-752311

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/topic/51842-my-washingtonia-is-dying/#comment-788122

My deepest condolences

There is only one frond that appears to have the one sided brown and one side green.  None of my other queens have anyone of the symptoms. This palms came from a nursery that had them all bunched together and had a lot of shade.

20230502_074442.jpg

Edited by Chavy87
Misspelled words

The classic symptom is one side of the frond dying while the other half is still nice and green.  This happened to one of my Queens in the below thread.  I immediately chopped it up with a reciprocating saw (to avoid flinging lots of debris around) and trashed it.  I treated my other 9 Queens with Banrot and so far none have caught Fusarium.

In your case it *might* be some latent transportation damage or "transplant shock."  It's fairly easy to whack a frond when moving or planting a palm, and if it breaks the xylem (water transporting tissue) on part of a frond then that area will hang around and be green until it runs out of water.  That might take a few days to several weeks.  I've seen fronds snapped in half and hanging down from hurricane winds, and they are still nice and green for a month or more.

Here's my pictures for reference:

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Chavy87 said:

There is only one frond that appears to have the one sided brown and one side green.  None of my other queens have anyone of the symptoms. This palms came from a nursery that had them all bunched together and had a lot of shade.

20230502_074442.jpg

Looks ominous (sorry). Wilt-affected palms die starting from the oldest/outside leaves working inward to the meristem. Note the # of dead leaves. And the dead leaves look oddly grayish-brown (at least to me). Finally, I am concerned about the queen partially blocked by the metal roof. The ends of the far left fronds look suspicious - keep an eye on that. 

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

I will admit the palm was watered pretty poorly for the first couple of weeks. The fronds seemed to start turning brown a few weeks after transplant so i assumed it was just shock. I will upload a picture of the "suspicious" looking palm as well.

Here's the palm that looks "suspicious". What do guys think? Cross contaminated? Also I cut the frond with fusarium wilt symptoms since it looks like I'll probably lose it. There are pictures of that below as well. Thanks your help folks. I'm pretty ticked about probably losing that palm and possibly the others that are close to it but I really do appreciate the help.

20230508_133741.jpg

20230508_133755.jpg

20230508_133936.jpg

20230508_134532.jpg

20230508_134551.jpg

• Upvote 1

This is the bottom of the last 3 fronds that look healthy. This is the inside closet to the trunk. Definitely looks like the fungas is creeping up and out to the end of the frond.

20230508_200159.jpg

20230508_200211.jpg

I'd recommend contacting the place you bought them, most reputable nurseries will have some kind of warranty against disease or early death.  Based on the photos I'd say Fusarium is pretty likely.

• Like 1

What @Merlynsays: wilt. I still hope I am wrong.

Meg

Florida

I'm going to remove it today, I don't think the fungus is in the soil since the tree to the left doesn't show any symptoms and it s been there longer. However I would still like to treat the around where the tree was planted. Solarization to tthe soil sounds like my best bet based on what I've read.

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

What @Merlynsays: wilt. I still hope I am wrong.

Might be petiole blight but I don't want to take any chances

The nursery is going to replace the palm however I do not want to put it I the same spot and repeat this whole thing. I will probably just put another type palm there that isn't resistant to the fungus. King Palm maybe?

• Like 1

As I understand it, only Queens and Washies are really susceptible to Fusarium Oxysporum v. Palmarum.  This can also kill some Syagrus hybrids like Mules (Queen x Pindo) but they are somewhat resistant.  Phoenix palms can catch Fusarium too, but it's a different species called Fusarium Oxysporum sp. Canariensis.  The difficulty is that if one got Fusarium...the others might catch it too.  Fusarium was first officially reported in CA in early 2020, so it isn't a widespread threat like it is here in FL.  My guess is that it came from the nursery already infected.  It's probably unlikely that it caught Fusarium from your neighbor's palms.  That means that if one has it, the others may also already have it.  Or if you cut a frond off of an infected palm and then cut one off of a clean palm without sanitizing the loppers in between...then you can accidentally spread it to the other.

As far as replacements go, there are probably a bunch of options like Kings that would do well.  I'd avoid Royals for your spots, because they "self-clean" old fronds while they are still heavy and green.  Having 15' long 50lb fronds go BOOM on your roof and patio would not be nice...

Avoid Syagrus, Washingtonias and mules. King palms should work. Unless you only have eyes for pinnate palms consider one of the Braheas. Skip the "usual suspects" and branch out to something different. I'm sure PTers in CA can give you lots of options and ideas.

Meg

Florida

1 hour ago, Merlyn said:

As I understand it, only Queens and Washies are really susceptible to Fusarium Oxysporum v. Palmarum.  This can also kill some Syagrus hybrids like Mules (Queen x Pindo) but they are somewhat resistant.  Phoenix palms can catch Fusarium too, but it's a different species called Fusarium Oxysporum sp. Canariensis.  The difficulty is that if one got Fusarium...the others might catch it too.  Fusarium was first officially reported in CA in early 2020, so it isn't a widespread threat like it is here in FL.  My guess is that it came from the nursery already infected.  It's probably unlikely that it caught Fusarium from your neighbor's palms.  That means that if one has it, the others may also already have it.  Or if you cut a frond off of an infected palm and then cut one off of a clean palm without sanitizing the loppers in between...then you can accidentally spread it to the other.

As far as replacements go, there are probably a bunch of options like Kings that would do well.  I'd avoid Royals for your spots, because they "self-clean" old fronds while they are still heavy and green.  Having 15' long 50lb fronds go BOOM on your roof and patio would not be nice...

I have inspected all of my other palms today, none of them have any signs of symptoms. I hadn't used any clippers on removing any fronds in between palms as I lost them for a few weeks. I am a little confused at how it spreads since there isn't to much info on the fungas. It seems it's spread mainly by contaminated tools used to prune. Can the fungus travel in the soil to near by trees? Or can an infected tree come into contact with a near by tree and infected it just in contact?

Edited by Chavy87
Misspelled words

15 minutes ago, Chavy87 said:

Edited by Chavy87

Fusarium wilt spreads through contaminated soil, tools, even infected seeds from diseased palms. Question: did the nursery that sold you the diseased queen grow them from seed in CA or did they bring them in from FL? Wilt is much more prevalent in the SE US and I wonder if commerce is a factor in its spread westward. Seemingly healthy palms may harbor it for some time before symptoms show.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

34 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Fusarium wilt spreads through contaminated soil, tools, even infected seeds from diseased palms. Question: did the nursery that sold you the diseased queen grow them from seed in CA or did they bring them in from FL? Wilt is much more prevalent in the SE US and I wonder if commerce is a factor in its spread westward. Seemingly healthy palms may harbor it for some time before symptoms show.

Southern California I think put I'm not 100%. I have purchased 6 queen palms from this year and that was the only one that had Fusarium Wilt that I've seen so far.