• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pindo Palm in " large large " pot. what size can I get ? ( with photos )

reivanreivan

Hello everyone .

I'm new to the forum and thank you in advance.

I am very excited about a new stage in my life that is a new home, it will have a small terrace on the heights where I will have, among other varieties, 2 Pindo syagrus romanzoffiana palms. As it is a terrace, they will always be in a large pot or pots.

They were bought from some nurseries, they are approximately 5 years old.

They were transplanted into very large pots 1 month and a half ago, at the beginning of spring and the heat here in Spain (Valencia).

The pots I think I remember are about 70 or 80 liters. (22 gallons)  at least, (the diameter will be around 80cm (2,6 feet measure) ) and within a year and a half when the time comes for the move they will go to pots as big as they can buy.

My question is:

with good care, daily sun, well-controlled irrigation, periodic fertilizer and care...

How much do you think a Pindó palm tree can grow under these conditions?

I would like them to have a relatively thick trunk, ringed and have a good height. always knowing that they are in pots and on a terrace (for safety)

I know, because I spoke to user @Pindo via email, that syagrus romanzoffiana palms should ideally be on the ground on land.

but I wanted to know about your experience and opinion to see if I can make them grow a lot.

I attach current photos, video and the size that I would like, which is a large size but measured, I think.

VideoCapture_20230511-174801.thumb.jpg.dd4a47d2f1b758974147b55dc2607bf4.jpg

20230426_121758.thumb.jpg.996aab15f36ed7cd5d4432656145aaa5.jpg

I would like this final size approximately

1733022056_Capturadepantalla2023-05-11alas18_38_09.thumb.png.990ad877467213c562a73d23e47e635f.png

20230426_121730.jpg

Edited by reivanreivan
thanks gracias
  • Like 1

Ok so first things first, what you have there are Queen palms, not Pindos. 

This is what a Pindo looks like:
PA-B-CAPI-4-600x800.jpg

Now, Queens can be grown in pots, but like you said its best for these to be grown in the ground. These palms grow very quickly, at 1-2 feet a year if given the right conditions. In pots, youll more likely seen growth of 0.5-1 foot a year, which isnt bad, but its not the fullest extent possible. Now, a pot grown Queen's trunk will be skinny compared to an in ground Queen, and since i will grow slower, the rings will be closer together.

Overall, the best way to get the most growth out of these palms is if they are in the ground. Its not impossible to grow a Queen in a pot, but just realize that they wont be quite as robust as the ones you see planted in the ground. They will also still be beautiful palms in pots regardless, as all palms are beautiful except for nutrient deficient or dead ones.

• Like 4

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 2 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 3 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 8 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa, 1 S. bermudana, 1 L. nitida

I bought some Queen palms (Syagrus Romanzoffiana) in 15 gallon pots that were easily 15 feet tall with nearly mature trunk diameter at the base.  These grew really fast when I planted them, but definitely would have kept growing in a pot...just slower.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JLM said:

Ok so first things first, what you have there are Queen palms, not Pindos.

While I agree with your post about Syagrus romanzoffiana, keep in mind that common names for palms are different in different countries.  :) The original poster is from Spain and the common name for Syagrus romanzoffiana is Pindó in Spain just as it is known as Jerivá in Brasil and Queen here in the U.S.  This is one reason that it's better to use the scientific name to avoid such confusion.  Another confusing example is calling Chrysalidocarpus lutescens "Areca" as that is also the name of an entire genus of palms.

• Like 7

Jon Sunder

16 minutes ago, Fusca said:

While I agree with your post about Syagrus romanzoffiana, keep in mind that common names for palms are different in different countries.  :) The original poster is from Spain and the common name for Syagrus romanzoffiana is Pindó in Spain just as it is known as Jerivá in Brasil and Queen here in the U.S.  This is one reason that it's better to use the scientific name to avoid such confusion.  Another confusing example is calling Chrysalidocarpus lutescens "Areca" as that is also the name of an entire genus of palms.

What?? I didnt know that! I learn something new just about everyday on this site, thanks!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 2 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 3 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 8 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa, 1 S. bermudana, 1 L. nitida

We call them "Coco Plumoso" in Mexico

Edited by idontknowhatnametuse
  • Like 2

Hace 8 horas, Tomás dijo:

Aquí está el mío que pasó 20 años en una maceta, antes de ser plantado

S r 1.jpg

S r 2.jpg

😍 ❤️   awesome ! What trunk height (or total height) could your palm tree have just before you take it out of the pot? 

tell me things that make me very happy (I want to think that in a pot of more than 70 liters (20 gallons) my palm tree will grow a lot) 

22 hours ago, reivanreivan said:

😍 ❤️   awesome ! What trunk height (or total height) could your palm tree have just before you take it out of the pot? 

tell me things that make me very happy (I want to think that in a pot of more than 70 liters (20 gallons) my palm tree will grow a lot) 

The palm had more than 2 metres of trunk, was about 5 metres overall

One advantage for growing queens in pots is they will not push themselves up with their roots like many palms do.

I would paint the pots (a special paint is needed for polypropylen plastic) or put some plants in front of them to shade them, the sun can heat the plastic to high temperatures. 

I also use trays below, it saves a lot of water running on the terrace and allows less frequent watering, with hot and dry weather it is possible not only to wet the potting mix but also let the water to fill the tray, queen palms love water and will consume it in a few days when bigger, but the water should disappear in one day from the tray. It is possible to make a hole in the tray, in summer you can plug it and in winter keep it open to prevent the water from accumulating in the tray.

Here is the skyline of my terrazzo, the queen there 🙂

terrazzo.jpg

• Like 2

The photo I'm attaching was to show that among seed batches of Butia Odorata under the same exact growing conditions....have different personalities.  Plus for this post, the trunk base is different than the initial photo supporting that it is not a "PINDO" at that size.  My photo was taken in late 2016.  I chose to take 2 from this same seed batch to make indoor palms, put one next to a south facing window for sun exposure which is 8 ft. tall and one at the top of the stairway to reach for the skylight that is stretched to 12 ft. but too dark to post.1767723406_ButiaO.6-19-2021fullsun.thumb.JPG.49fe16b1ae57518bba7f349eab87cef7.JPG

• Like 1

Survived Feb. 9, 1971 & Jan. 17, 1994 earthquakes   Before Palms, there was a special airplane

619382403_F-117landingsmallest.jpg.0441eed7518a280494a59fcdaf23756d.jpg