• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pinanga veitchii

Cindy Adair

I do love orchids but at orchid shows I hit up the non orchids first. I bought a preview day entry ticket AND was in line at the Homestead FL Fruit and Spice park at least an hour before the entry time! 
All worth it for the chance to buy the only Pinanga veitchii I have seen for sale.

442235AC-D9C7-4B7C-962D-E01BFEF7B979.thumb.jpeg.57a82e1bfca5163da68547a8dadfefee.jpeg

It sure looks like the real deal to me although I only recall photos. 
The seller says it is a tough grow in South FL because it hates the city water. 

Right now it is in shade where it will hopefully get rainwater at a friend’s place in Miami, as I am at the airport awaiting a flight to the IPS Director’s meeting.

On my return I will take this little Pinanga to be babied in Puerto Rico.

As it is the beginning of the rainy season in PR it is excellent timing.

I used to attend the Redland’s Orchid show every May so after a 5 year absence it was great to be there!

It was fun to run into Jeff Searle and Horace Hobbs among others.

Any information about growing this palm and/or photos would be very much appreciated!!!

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

Mine is smaller but looks thr same.

I'm away from home, but can take photo of mine when back. I just grow mine in shade house will all other palms. Its pushed out 2 new leafs since having it for a year. Gets slight brown tips. It typically grows in moist humus/leaf litter layer in wild from what I have read.

I have brought mine inside for winter and put in greenhouse inside with heater and aquarium for humidity on bottom shelf.

Mix is well draining potting mix with perlite and it doesn't dry out.

Good luck :)

Thanks so much! Two new leaves in a year sounds to me like you are keeping it happy!

Cindy Adair

Good score, almost impossible to pass up. 

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Wow, beautiful. There are tricky as babies but once it starts trunking should be an easy grow. These are so hard to get

• Like 1

Great find, especially at an orchid sale.

This is a tricky species that has broken the hearts of many and tempted even more. It always seems to surface now and then in cultivation due to its unique and stunning habitat photos. Many cannot believe that multi-color leaf mottling. You have a better chance than most with it in Puerto Rico, but even then each new leaf will be an achievement.

Ryan

South Florida

Fingers crossed that I can keep it alive…

I will be ecstatic to see it trunking if I live that long.

Cindy Adair

@CB Lisagerminated seed from RPS, I believe, and gave me her last seedling a few years ago. It started to push a new leaf but I became overwhelmed with my collection and life and neglected it. If carefully doted on, I believe it could be successfully grown by a devoted collector.

25711274097_f573997c76_o.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

What a beautiful baby.

I count CB Lisa as a friend and treasure some palms and cycads from her. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

32 minutes ago, Cindy Adair said:

What a beautiful baby.

I count CB Lisa as a friend and treasure some palms and cycads from her. 

Yes! She is such a sweetie (whether she would have shared her plant gems or not)! My Sabinaria magnifica is from her. 

• Like 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Hi Cindy, I have had no personal experience with these, the first reply to your post from Palms Brisbane seems to give you assurance. If one can be kept alive in Brisbane,  then PR should as close to a perfect environment for  it as you can get.  My horrendously expensive seedling recently purchased on ebay, started turning yellow in the shade house so it's now in my  entry hall, under the skylight and I have set the heating to come on if it goes under 21C outside.  I will have to find a wheelchair accessible corner in the red light district when the power bill comes in. The things we do for plants ! Your new baby should thrive in your climate and your skillful loving care.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.