• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Can I safely chop this frond?

Breaktheory

Soooo…these Royals took a major hit during our cold winter but they’re already shooting up to 5 inches a week…I’d love to chop off these brown fronds but the stalk is still green - how bad would it be to cut them off - sort of prune around everything that’s green - many many thanks!

IMG_0863.jpeg

IMG_0864.jpeg

• Like 1

Sure, and be sure to dust the cut cross section of the petiole with powdered sulfur.  I always treat cut living tissue with sulfur to prevent an infection.

• Like 1

San Francisco, California

I have snipped off the dead leaflets on a couple of Arenga Pinnata, where the leaves were dead and crispy but the petiole/rachis was nice and green.  I just used a pair of sharp scissors.  But those are very slow growers, so I was concerned with removing 99% of the available green tissue.  This left some green sticks in the air...which looks really weird.  In fast growers where you've got green opening up I'd probably just lop off any frond without actual green leaves on it.

• Like 2

Cut and remove all the brown. You will be fine.

Jeff

• Like 2

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.