• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ravenea glauca: does anyone in SE or SW FL grow one in the ground?

PalmatierMeg

Quick background: Some years back I bought two decent-sized specimens of Ravenea glauca from the late George Sparkman in CA. They arrived in beautiful condition and I planted them in an open area of my south-facing jungle-to-be overlooking the Isabelle Canal. Fast-forward 3-4 weeks: both palms went into decline and died. Today I have a nice little specimen of R. glauca in a pot and wonder if I dare plant it or consign it to life forever in a pot. So, is this species intolerant of sandy, calcareous, alkaline soil to the point specimens just keel over and die? I have had 2 R. rivularis growing in my yard for 30 years through everything Nature aimed our way. Has anyone in FL had success growing R. glauca in the ground?

Below are photos of my R. glauca in its pot.

2094746338_Raveneaglauca0205-31-23.thumb.JPG.69a80e96d75b7e0f9beee11442613d15.JPG1678439068_Raveneaglauca0105-31-23.thumb.JPG.2ad102423d56756b3f1e16fcefeb31fb.JPG671484885_Raveneaglauca0305-31-23.thumb.JPG.7003cf02b40f0d0b3da2dcf5beb8624c.JPG

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

You might have seen this video already as it’s at least 10 years old, but here is R. Glauca growing in the Vero Beach area. 

Wow that looks really nice and elegant. I have never seen one in the ground in Florida. Actually I haven’t seen many Raveneas in the ground considering how many Rivularis are sold. I have seen Hildebrantii in the ground and I have been looking for one for some time. I was fortunate enough to find one at the PBPACS sale this spring. I too am hoping that it will tolerate my calcareous “soil”.