• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Caryotas....what in the heck is this thing?

barefoot_yankee

I've had numerous caryotas. They've matured, flowered and died. I took them out and moved on.  This one matured, flowered, and I wasn't in good enough shape to cut it down so there it sat.  I was out 

today and holy moly something is growing out of it. It's already seeded, and I read they don't self germinate so I thought it was dead as disco. It's been dead and hanging there for about a year.  I only now discovered this. I'm sure someone here can tell me what this is.  Thanks! 

cary two.jpeg

cary one.jpeg

• Upvote 1

I'm guessing it's a last gap effort of throwing out another seed pod.....if not that, Arnold Schwarzenneger is gonna pop out of it.  

• Like 1

Ok, so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say yea, another seed pod. But after being dead for over a year? Now I gotta find out what a Skeksis is.  If the Dark Crystal isn't a movie it's gonna take a while. 

2 hours ago, barefoot_yankee said:

Ok, so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say yea, another seed pod. But after being dead for over a year? Now I gotta find out what a Skeksis is.  If the Dark Crystal isn't a movie it's gonna take a while. 

Certainly looks like a flower spathe.  Yes the timing is late but I have seen similar timing with Arenga engleri stalks that I have cut down after flowering, pushing out a spadix just a few inches off the ground. 

• Like 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Thanks Tracy. Yea, I've grown several of these but never once saw a second bloom. It's too bad they don't self pollinate tho....

Yes it’s another spathe. Sometimes Caryotas can takes years to go through the process with each new spathe appearing closer to ground level. 

• Like 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

10 hours ago, barefoot_yankee said:

Now I gotta find out what a Skeksis is...

No one gonna take this on? Challenge accepted!dark-crystal.thumb.png.364fbfa1a955b8ae1aac2709764452ee.png

The movie "The Dark Crystal" by Jim Hensen and Frank Oz (1982) was a financial failure at the time, but still has a cult-like following. It was recently released as a remake on Netflix (though I personally think the original was awesome). Most of the characters were puppets.

The "skeksis" were Reptilian/Bird like creatures which were fuel for many a child's nightmares (ahem, not me of course). The skeksis were the guardians of the "crystal" and while highly intelligent, could also be cruel. They stayed eternally young by drinking the "life essense" of other creatures.

So yeah... that's what you've got.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

I had no idea how many of you had part time jobs as comedians! Thanks tons for all the answers! 

• Like 2

On 7/17/2023 at 7:46 PM, Merlyn said:

I think it is growing a Skeksis from The Dark Crystal.  :D

That’s hilarious because that’s the first thing I thought of before I even saw your comment. 

• Like 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.