• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lanonia dasyantha

happypalms

My lanonia certainly had a hail bashing but survived well there easy to germinate and grow water and I don’t fertilise them it helps with keeping the mottled colour i even managed to get a variegated one fingers crossed it stays true and doesn’t revert the odds are against it I might get lucky they certainly are cold hardy

ether 

IMG_7236.jpeg

IMG_6820.jpeg

IMG_6821.jpeg

IMG_7050.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Upvote 2

Nice collection!  I just heard about this palm last year, and now have 12 of them.  I recently planted the first one in a spot that gets AM sun and full PM shade.

• Upvote 1

Hopefully that variegated one keeps it up. Such I cool little palm. I'm looking to try a couple in zone8b/9a just to see if they'll handle our winters

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, apriliarider15 said:

Hopefully that variegated one keeps it up. Such I cool little palm. I'm looking to try a couple in zone8b/9a just to see if they'll handle our winters

From what I read and understand they are pretty cold tolerant easy to grow just water them definitely give them a go in your area 

16 hours ago, Merlyn said:

Nice collection!  I just heard about this palm last year, and now have 12 of them.  I recently planted the first one in a spot that gets AM sun and full PM shade.

Yes there a new palm to me as well I imported around 1000 seeds from China they nearly all germinated in the post before they got to me 

IMG_7048.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I have a group of them to hopefully produce seed one day. They have flowered but not produced yet

98C37D08-E654-47D1-90D6-E80A8D1A12AC.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On 7/20/2023 at 11:47 PM, happypalms said:

My lanonia certainly had a hail bashing but survived well there easy to germinate and grow water and I don’t fertilise them it helps with keeping the mottled colour i even managed to get a variegated one fingers crossed it stays true and doesn’t revert the odds are against it I might get lucky they certainly are cold hardy

ether 

IMG_7236.jpeg

IMG_6820.jpeg

IMG_6821.jpeg

IMG_7050.jpeg

The variegation on this seedling looks more like Raphis than Lanonia. The leaves look different as well. Actually lucky if the off seed got mixed up in the batch. There are ‘ super mottled ‘ Lanonia which are very attractive, almost ‘mapu ‘like. They exhibit the mottling as seedlings and the ones in the garden have maintained this trait for many years now. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

8 hours ago, realarch said:

The variegation on this seedling looks more like Raphis than Lanonia. The leaves look different as well. Actually lucky if the off seed got mixed up in the batch. There are ‘ super mottled ‘ Lanonia which are very attractive, almost ‘mapu ‘like. They exhibit the mottling as seedlings and the ones in the garden have maintained this trait for many years now. 

8 hours ago, realarch said:

Tim

Nice if it is a raphis I shall keep a very close eye on this seedling I don’t remember any seed’s being different it is possible they got mixed up but I can only hope either way raphis or lanonia I want it to stay variegated cheers 

9 hours ago, John hovancsek said:

I have a group of them to hopefully produce seed one day. They have flowered but not produced yet

98C37D08-E654-47D1-90D6-E80A8D1A12AC.jpeg

Nice little group of lanonia hopefully they set seed for you I have good luck with my chuniophoenix nana using a little artist brush to help pollinate helping the insects out worth a try 

That is very pretty.  I am so far behind the times lately,  is Lanonia a new name for Licuala ?

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

11 minutes ago, peachy said:

That is very pretty.  I am so far behind the times lately,  is Lanonia a new name for Licuala ?

Peachy

I have read  they changed the name from licuala to lanonia dasyantha these photos where taken this afternoon 

IMG_7560.jpeg

IMG_7559.jpeg

IMG_7556.jpeg

IMG_7547.jpeg

Oh I thought they looked like dasyantha but the new name threw me.  I paid a small fortune for one back in my more affluent days and it couldn't croak on me fast enough ! Whether or not it was a dud or my murderous hands I never found out.

Peachy

• Like 1

27.35 south.

2 minutes ago, peachy said:

Oh I thought they looked like dasyantha but the new name threw me.  I paid a small fortune for one back in my more affluent days and it couldn't croak on me fast enough ! Whether or not it was a dud or my murderous hands I never found out.

Peachy

I find them easy as seedlings and the bigger ones I have just love water with good drainage 

1 hour ago, peachy said:

Peachy

Hi Peachy, I believe Lanonia dasyantha used to be known as Licuala radula back in the day. Licuala as a genus still well and truly exists, there are still many Licuala species. Lanonia only has around 10 I think. Some were formerly Licuala and most from Vietnam I think. Some Lanonia species are proving to be relatively hardy. I’ve got L dasyantha, L magalonii and L calciphila in Melbourne, although all are still small seedlings. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

21 hours ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

Hi Peachy, I believe Lanonia dasyantha used to be known as Licuala radula back in the day. Licuala as a genus still well and truly exists, there are still many Licuala species. Lanonia only has around 10 I think. Some were formerly Licuala and most from Vietnam I think. Some Lanonia species are proving to be relatively hardy. I’ve got L dasyantha, L magalonii and L calciphila in Melbourne, although all are still small seedlings. 

Those last two I have never heard of before.  My memory is getting so bad they will put me in cage soon.  I do remember L. radula from somewhere, I know I had one at some stage.

Peachy

27.35 south.

22 hours ago, happypalms said:

I find them easy as seedlings and the bigger ones I have just love water with good drainage 

Aha she said .... my old house was on a slope and water ran off faster than I could pour it on.

Peachy

• Upvote 1

27.35 south.

On 7/22/2023 at 12:26 PM, apriliarider15 said:

If this were true I will be in the market for these, as I have more shaded spots then full sun in my new garden 

T J 

• Upvote 1

T J 

21 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

If this were true I will be in the market for these, as I have more shaded spots then full sun in my new garden 

T J 

Mine is doing great, went in the ground Dec 2021. I haven't tested it below high 20s w/canopy (it's easy to protect) but easy grow, no fuss otherwise. I suspect it might even come back from the ground from the rare deep freeze, the bud stays at ground level for a long time and it also makes suckers (mine does). 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

11 minutes ago, Xenon said:

I suspect it might even come back from the ground from the rare deep freeze, the bud stays at ground level for a long time and it also makes suckers (mine does). 

Sounds like a winner now where to find some haha 

T J 

• Upvote 1

T J