• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is the climate of Dallas closer to Minneapolis or to Miami?

Can't think of username

This same topic was made and exploded on the ol' City-Data Weather: https://www.city-data.com/forum/weather/3375676-climate-dallas-more-similar-climate-minneapolis.html
yFPeBBu.png
lSZUIBZ.png?1XryFlw7.png

Emman85 (a member both there and here) participated quite a bit, but to my knowledge no one else on here did, so I figured to make it here because you folks here on Palmtalk might find it of interest. Not just for the comparison between the climates, but for its overlap in premise with much discussed climates on here.

Here's the comparison and contrast that overlaps what we discussed.
"Dallas may not have continental winter temperatures but it does get continental winter patterns and can see impressive diurnal ranges, just like Minneapolis. And these ranges can occur outside winter. Miami pretty much ONLY sees major diurnal ranges in the winter."
"I am just saying there's less moderation in temperature in DFW and MSP than MIA and that's mostly to do with the ocean."
"The mean temp doesn't mean much when the diurnal range is so low in Miami and much larger in Dallas and Minneapolis."

According to this logic, Brooksville airport is more like Minneapolis. As was discussed in the Southeast US cold hole airport thread, it has enormous diurnal ranges in all months outside of June-September summer (these diurnal ranges are considerably larger than Dallas as well), and gets almost no ocean influence at all, as is made somewhat evident by the diurnal ranges - but the fact that this is in the TAMPA BAY area is not exactly conducive to any reasonable discussion.
rEZUaxG.png
We can throw in Archbold Biological Station too - as we discussed, those diurnal ranges are EVEN BIGGER than Brooksville due to again the lack of moderation. Yet the fact that this is a nearly-tropical monsoon climate likewise eliminates any reasonable discussion, high diurnal ranges or not.

DcxZZLh.png?1
Heck we can even throw in the Everglades. Higher diurnal ranges than Dallas gets at any time of year for 7 months, but this is a TROPICAL SAVANNA, meaning no research at all would be needed to know if it's closer to Minneapolis or Miami.
kIKQQyr.jpeg

"Based on the high temp variations in both climates, and large standard deviations, I would go with Dallas and Minneapolis. The Florida peninsula, particularly the bottom one third, has pretty low std deviation of temps relative to the rest of North America."
"I still think Dallas and Minneapolis' weather is more alike than Dallas and Miami's. Dallas' weather forecast right now is much more like a Minneapolis forecast in April than a Miami forecast. Miami isn't even getting under 70 all week long whereas Dallas is getting down to the 50s still. Since 2010, the only years that Miami got down to the 50s in April since 2010 were 2017 and 2022. Both Dallas and Minneapolis have that continental moodiness especially in spring. Its not unheard of in Minneapolis for it to go from a high in the 80s to a high in the 60s or 50s the next day. Same with Dallas. For April and May that is."

According to this logic, Tallahassee airport in 2015 and 2020 would be more like Minneapolis than Miami. Although this ties back to what we discussed about the Tallahassee airport being an artificially very cold microclimate making it very variable among other things, the fact that it's the CAPITAL OF FLORIDA - even as an artificial cold spot - would show why this standard deviation and 'continental moodiness' does not hold up.
Just take a look at 2015 and 2020 vs the 1991-2020 normals. High standard deviation from the average and wild temperature swings from month to month, yet clearly so much more like Miami that there's no reasonable discussion to be had.
ame28av.png?1

Bd1m6DP.png

"Dallas gets colder every year than Miami has ever been. How can you ignore that? And just the mere presence of freezing temps counts for a lot. Water does not care if its 25, 15 or -5. It will freeze regardless."

According to this logic, everywhere above except the Everglades is more like Minneapolis than Miami. To further illustrate the absurdity of this, here are some more places no reasonable discussion can be had about that regularly frost AND get colder every year than Miami has ever been - yes, this logic dictates Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Savannah, and Gainesville airports are more like Minneapolis too.
ssU9Dkd.jpg
CjidTw3.png?1
Vq5GBlV.png
uqjrBrA.png?1

Then there's also those disingenuous vegetation arguments made. I would like to discuss them here if anyone's so inclined, as I'm still learning about it!

Thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I’m not clear what the purpose is of discussing this? Bottom line is Minneapolis can’t have palms, Dallas can have a few, Miami is very favorable. What Dallas is more similar to is irrelevant, no?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I just thought it might be of interest to some on here because, as mentioned, it has some parallels to topics on here and was popular there. Sorry if this is irrelevant, I didn't intend to make a thread like that.

If it's not of interest it can be deleted.

Edited by Can't think of username
  • Like 2

Having lived in Minneapolis for 18 years, Dallas is similar in regards to the extreme temperature fluctuations, but as far as similarities go that’s about it. Well I guess the lack of seasons is also a similarity. 

In Minnesota, trees are bare from late October to Mid May, fall is very short and winter is very long. Spring is a tease - you get a few warm days in March and think spring is here than late April it’s snowing. Summer doesn’t really kick in until late June. Living in Minnesota during winter is like living in Moscow. 

Dallas is kind of the opposite with the climate revolving around summer. Miami is the same with relatively similar season lengths

In terms of average annual temperature, Dallas and Miami are a lot closer and I think overall they are more similar. 

The thing is, in Miami for the past few decades the city only plants palm trees to give it a tropical look where as naturally would probably be more of a mix of live oaks and Sabals. Dallas has 12 days a decade that prevent it from having tens of thousands of palm trees. 

Edited by DreaminAboutPalms
  • Like 1