• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jelly Palm (Butia Capitata).

DanaS

Hello, I am looking for your advice, 10 days ago I've planted 1 jelly palm (12Ft high), and 2 windmill Palms(6Ft.High). Soil is sandy.  Location Soth Carolina. Jelly Palm came with lots of ants on the root. I have created a ring around the trees using some Miracle Gro soil for: palms, cactus. Since planting I watered every day, sometimes twice, by filing up with water the rings I've created. Do I need to use some root simulator, fertilizer?.... Thanks in advance

20230726_145723.jpg

20230726_145732.jpg

• Like 5

For now they both look fine. Just keep them watered twice a day until mid-Oct.

Were they grown in full sun before you bought them?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DanaS said:

Thank you all. Any advice on fertilizing

Thank you

I use an organic from Espoma called Palm Tone with excellent results also Palm Gain has an excellent reputation here. Follow application directions on label.

All Palm specific fertilizers are usually only applied every 3 months as they are slow release. Winter months do NOT require fertilizer. So basically 3 feedings a year. Palms use and need most of there fertilizer/energy when active frowning in spring and summer.

• Like 1

@DanaS they look fine, just going to take them a bit to get settled in. It's been hotter than hell here recently so make sure you keep the soil moist

Whereabouts in SC are you

• Like 2

I don't know what you have overseas but I always use a slow release mineral fertiliser. Newly planted palms I only fertilise the next year/season as I usually mix up good soil for new plantings. :greenthumb:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

@DanaS they look fine, just going to take them a bit to get settled in. It's been hotter than hell here recently so make sure you keep the soil moist

3 hours ago, Hortulanus said:

I don't know what you have overseas but I always use a slow release mineral fertiliser. Newly planted palms I only fertilise the next year/season as I usually mix up good soil for new plantings. :greenthumb:

I believe the safest approach that is advocated is to wait at least 3 months after receiving a new Palm before starting a fertilizer regimen in case the grower and/or nursery decided to do a recent application of fertilizer before sending the Palm out to the end customer.

Green Round Pellets (Polyon) or Yellow Round Pellets (Osmocote) are common commercial slow release fertilizers that you often see if you start looking at what is being used within the industry and take a look at the top of the soil in the growers pots when out plant shopping. But Commercial growers and Nurseries also use liquid fertilizers that leave no signs of recent application. You won’t harm the Palm and you have less variables going on if you just water and wait after putting a new Palm in ground that has not been in your care for at least 3 months prior to planting.

Edited by Dwarf Fan
  • Like 1

Those palms look happy. By looking at the fronds , they have been grown in some sun . Fertilizer is something I haven't done since most of my palms have been in the ground for 15-20 years , but I do mulch with organics a couple times a year. For the first 5 years I used Apex Palm Special in 25lb. bags. I would mix it up with mulch and spread around the base of the trunk , while breaking up the soil with a claw. Then soak the area with a lot of water . Harry

I would not fertilize or fertilize very light and no fertilizer after September. You do not want to force tender growth that will be exposed to frost this winter.  A light root promoting solution would be ok.  Sometime in  April you can start some light fertilizing and then as you see growth slowly add more to match rate of growth. Always follow directions as more does not always equal more growth.

Hi Everyone,

My Jelly Palm was green when I planted back in July 25th, but now the tips of the palm fronds are getting dark brown.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you 

4 hours ago, DanaS said:

Hi Everyone,

My Jelly Palm was green when I planted back in July 25th, but now the tips of the palm fronds are getting dark brown.

Thank you 

Well, it's more than four weeks, so I'll assume it was grown in full sun. I think it's just trying to settle in to a new environment. We've had a lot of hot, dry weather this summer; hopefully you've kept the soil moist. Please take a photo and share it here.

5 hours ago, DanaS said:

Hi Everyone,

Thank you 

Were these potted palms or field transplants?

I ask as I've transplanted 4 Jelly palms in the last two years, and all experienced the same thing:  firs a little browning of the existing leaf tips, followed by spear pull, followed by months and months of nothing happening until finally pushing a new spear.  All the while some of the existing fronds did die but most did stay green.

Hopefully this is not what you are experiencing, but if so don't fret, they are very hardy and typically will survive.

23 hours ago, SeanK said:

Well, it's more than four weeks, so I'll assume it was grown in full sun. I think it's just trying to settle in to a new environment. We've had a lot of hot, dry weather this summer; hopefully you've kept the soil moist. Please take a photo and share it here.

Jelly Palm.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/19/2023 at 11:18 AM, DAVEinMB said:

Myrtle Beach

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SeanK said:

Jelly Palm.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 8/19/2023 at 3:53 PM, Hortulanus said:

Hello,

That's funny, I just noticed that you are from Germany. My husband and I will be there next year in August. 

4 minutes ago, DanaS said:

Hi Everyone.

Any advices when and how to prune my palm fronds.

Since your palm is so new I wouldn't cut any fronds that are not turning brown or really dragging the ground. You will need a hand saw for the pindo

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

13 minutes ago, DanaS said:

Hi Everyone.

Any advices when and how to prune my palm fronds.

The best time to prune a palm is when the fronds are completely brown/crispy.  It is OK to cut fronds (no more than 9 to 3) that still show some green in it but everything green is food for the palm. Commercial landscaping tend to over prune palms  which leads to stressing the palm out and weaken it aswell. If you prune your palm For Christ Sake SANATIZE your prune tools . Lots of people , even members of the forum , killed their palms after diseases were transmitted by disease infected pruning tools. 

Good morning MarcusH,

Really appreciate your advice.

My palms were planted, around end of July. Some of the fronds are yellow and brown but have some green on it.

Here in Myrtle Beach can get cold in the winter. 

I'd like to know if I should prune it now before the winter or I can wait until spring.

Thanks a lot

39 minutes ago, DanaS said:

Good morning MarcusH,

My palms were planted, around end of July. Some of the fronds are yellow and brown but have some green on it.

I'd like to know if I should prune it now before the winter or I can wait until spring.

Thanks a lot

You're welcome.  You aren't going to kill the palm by cutting yellow fronds it's just you're taking away food sources that the palm needs . A yellow leave isn't dead it still functions with a decreased performance but it's OK . Yellowing fronds can also have natural causes for example heat stress , cold or age. Other factors may be nutrient diffency or overwatering . 

P.S. the more green/yellowish fronds you cut at once the more you stress out the palm. 

3 minutes ago, MarcusH said:

You're welcome.  You aren't going to kill the palm by cutting yellow fronds it's just you're taking away food sources that the palm needs . A yellow leave isn't dead it still functions with a decreased performance but it's OK . Yellowing fronds can also have natural causes for example heat stress , cold or age. Other factors may be nutrient diffency or overwatering . 

P.S. the more green/yellowish fronds you cut at once the more you stress out the palm. 

To answer your question you can cut the dead fronts if you like. Some will say cut them in spring. Reason behind is that dead fronds "can" work as a type of insulation to keep the trunk warmer.  While I'm not completely convinced with that theory I could see that it makes more sense with Washingtonias when they create that thick skirt around the trunk but a Pindo hmm ? 

45 minutes ago, MarcusH said:

Good morning MarcusH,

Thanks a lot

• Upvote 1

I have a Site One here in Winston-Salem and you have one there in Myrtle Beach too . Site One is supposed to be a company that wholesales to landscapers and such , but if you know a landscaper they can buy you professional chemicals of all kinds . So it's easy to get their products with someone just picking it up for you . I know a girl who wanted some grass seed and just said that she worked for a landscape business and they sold to her . I don't know the details of how strict they are but I get my palm fertilizer from them . It's professional stuff and they are knowledgeable about all kinds of insecticides , grass seed , fungicides , fertilizers and about anything you can think of in chemicals . 

Will

BE59DC15-A5B3-4F1A-9AE6-AF0445FA7E46.heic

11 minutes ago, Will Simpson said:

I have a Site One here in Winston-Salem and you have one there in Myrtle Beach too . Site One is supposed to be a company that wholesales to landscapers and such , but if you know a landscaper they can buy you professional chemicals of all kinds . So it's easy to get their products with someone just picking it up for you . I know a girl who wanted some grass seed and just said that she worked for a landscape business and they sold to her . I don't know the details of how strict they are but I get my palm fertilizer from them . It's professional stuff and they are knowledgeable about all kinds of insecticides , grass seed , fungicides , fertilizers and about anything you can think of in chemicals . 

Will

BE59DC15-A5B3-4F1A-9AE6-AF0445FA7E46.heic 2.69 MB · 1 download

Site one sells to me here but it is one of those places that has multiple pricing 'tiers' based on who you are.  ie. a homeowner = full retail!

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F