• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Xanthorrhoea latifolia

philinsydney

Mine has finally flowered after ten years.IMG20230806141106.thumb.jpg.8a0e32148fe2dc519bd131e74e840878.jpgIMG20230806140902.thumb.jpg.d99167040f39b70d6108c5e4f54bfcf3.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Do you know of any tough and drought hardy species of Xanthorrhoea?

Hi 107˚, Lo 76˚

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

1 hour ago, Tom in Tucson said:

Hi 107˚, Lo 76˚

Just looking at their distribution, X. australis and X. preissii seem to be native to hotter and drier areas. I don't think any live in the most extreme deserts in Australia.

• Like 1

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

1 hour ago, Tom in Tucson said:

Hi 107˚, Lo 76˚

I just found another: X. thorntonii which grows in central Australia in arid conditions. Probably hard to source, though.

• Like 1

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Xanthorrhoea thorntonii and X quadrangularis are desert dwellers. Thorntonii grows from south west of Alice Springs through the Gibson and Victoria Deserts into WA. Quadrangularis is a bit further south but in the desert areas of north east South Australia.

X. glauca is from the semi arid parts of the eastern states. I've never seen any of these any of these arid growing species for sale.

Xanthorrhoea thorntonii

mlr10081514.JPG.b1a78f3249d2a38f6355ebc3ec7c406a.JPG

mlr10081517.JPG.681727ade85796bd5bcbea9caf4c9892.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I had small Xanthorrhoea glauca. They did ok in our summers and winters but eventually rotted during wet cold 

• Like 1