• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Unfolding sabal frond yellow/green.

Summerfield

My sabal mexicana is mad at me. I've done something it doesn't like. Anybody ever see a new frond unfold with a yellow color and green ribs before?? I water every other day in Texas. It's been over 100 degrees for several weeks now. I doubt it's overwatered. The daytime heat is horrific. I'm sure it is transpiring water like crazy during the day. I use Perfect Palm with boron for fertilizer. Put some on about a month ago. All the other fronds are dark green.  It's been in the ground here since May 2022. Seems to be doing fine otherwise. It's a mystery to me.....

sabal-100.JPG

• Like 1

Never mind..hehe.. The WHOLE FROND turned green after one day in the Texas sunshine. I could have sworn I've read somewhere that a yellow frond will never turn green. I prolly was dreamin'...NEwayz, false alarm on my part... The frond looks normal now...

• Like 1

I think this sabal palm is trying to mess with me. The new frond went from a high yellow to dark green in one day. I was even out in my back yard at midnight with a flashlight trying to figure out why this dang thing was "dying".... My neighbors have a new "story to tell" now...It's disrupting my sleep....?;-) Aren't palm trees amazing!!!

frond-green.JPG

• Like 1

It's normal in a lot of palms, all of my palms that are exposed to sun do that, Attalea, Acrocomia, Chamaedorea, Thrinax, Coconut, Wodyetia, Sabal (Yapa), etc

On 8/9/2023 at 9:56 PM, Summerfield said:

Never mind..hehe.. The WHOLE FROND turned green after one day in the Texas sunshine. I could have sworn I've read somewhere that a yellow frond will never turn green. I prolly was dreamin'...NEwayz, false alarm on my part... The frond looks normal now...

Hah, yeah that's not too unusual for fan palms.  My Bismarckia always open up the same light yellow color, and within a couple of days they turn green then silver. 

• Like 1